News Progressive Democrats support Trump's higher direct payment request

Nightrider

Trophies
Let’s do it. @RashidaTlaib and I already co-wrote the COVID amendment for $2,000 checks, so it’s ready to go. Glad to see the President is willing to support our legislation. We can pass $2k checks this week if the Senate GOP agrees to stand down.

Me and @AOC have the amendment ready. Send the bill back, and we will put in the $2,000 we’ve been fighting for that your party has been blocking.

Mitch don’t be the only reason people don’t get $2000, let’s do this.

That's great! I first introduced a bill to provide a $2,000 direct payment with @SenKamalaHarris & @EdMarkey 7 months ago. Now, Mr. President, get Mitch McConnell and your Republican friends to stop opposing it and we can provide working class Americans with $2,000. Let's do it.

December 23, 2020

President Trump's request that Congress rewrite the massive coronavirus relief bill passed earlier this week to include direct payments of $2,000 to Americans is being met with cheers from progressive Democrats.

"Let’s do it," said Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) in a tweet late Tuesday. "[Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.)] and I already co-wrote the COVID amendment for $2,000 checks, so it’s ready to go."

"Glad to see the President is willing to support our legislation," Ocasio-Cortez added.

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) also welcomed Trump's remarks.

"That's great!" he tweeted. "Now, Mr. President, get [Senate Majority Leader] Mitch McConnell [R-Ky.] and your Republican friends to stop opposing it and we can provide working class Americans with $2,000. Let's do it."

Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she is ready to bring a pitch including the $2,000 checks to the House floor by unanimous consent.

Other Senate Democrats have balked at the idea of rewriting the long-sought bill, however, which is the second-largest in history and runs more than 5,000 pages.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back