Discussion Playing horror games in the dark

LunarScorpio

Newcomer
Trophies
There seem to be quite a few people here who play horror video games. So I'm wondering, do any of you play horror games in the dark? If you don't, why not? Do you feel like playing horror games in the dark make it scarier or does it not effect you? Let's discuss!

I don't really enjoy horror games all that much. I love scary movies but you're not in control of that experience. Games and scare-jumps are a different ballgame. I like to relax playing games, not have my adrenaline and anxiety through the roof.

I have seen films in the dark but not playing games like that. Last time I played a horror game I was streaming and had to have the light on, but the chat was being good and I was like.. BORING

Would it not begin to hurt your eyes, though? I do agree that it adds to the tension. I will play Resident Evil Village in the dark, for sure.

I play most games in the dark as I can see things easier on the screen!

Playing in the dark is the best way to experience horror games, IMO. Really brings out the atmosphere. When I'm not playing them at night, I usually turn off the lights and close the shades. However, some people have weaker constitutions and leave the lights on so they're less scared, which I get.

I can barely play horror games in the morning with a lot of light around me. I don't think I could ever play it in the dark lol

So what do people think are the best horror games?

The obvious ones:

Silent Hills 1-3, especially 2 and 3 are a must include at the top of every list. I think 4 is pretty good as a horror experience and an interesting story too, although a lot of annoying gameplay elements are introduced.

The Resident Evil series is another very obvious inclusion. There are so many games, and a lot of them are more action oriented than horror, but the remakes of the first and second games are the obvious starting points.

Slightly lesser sung ones:

The Fatal Frame series is pretty good, although it has some silly elements. Most people say 3 is the best. I like 2 and 5 as well.

Haunting Ground is another top tier game, that's criminally underrated. It's also pretty much the unofficial fourth Clock Tower game, and fixed a lot of the issues in that series that have aged poorly or didn't work well to begin with.

I would consider all of those games that capture the essential survival horror experience. For more outside the box stuff, there are some RPG maker games, some of which you can get for free, like Mad Father, Ib, or Hello Charlotte. They obviously don't have anything close to the realistic graphics of AAA titles, and have to rely on other things like storytelling, sound design, and general weirdness to create a horror atmosphere. Because of that, they can be more of an acquired taste.

I love horror movies but thanks to oversaturating zombies in video games I avoided them for the last 10 years. I did play Until Dawn tho and would recommend it. But playing in the dark? I'm a chicken so of course not.lol

The obvious ones:

Silent Hills 1-3, especially 2 and 3 are a must include at the top of every list. I think 4 is pretty good as a horror experience and an interesting story too, although a lot of annoying gameplay elements are introduced.

The Resident Evil series is another very obvious inclusion. There are so many games, and a lot of them are more action oriented than horror, but the remakes of the first and second games are the obvious starting points.

Slightly lesser sung ones:

The Fatal Frame series is pretty good, although it has some silly elements. Most people say 3 is the best. I like 2 and 5 as well.

Haunting Ground is another top tier game, that's criminally underrated. It's also pretty much the unofficial fourth Clock Tower game, and fixed a lot of the issues in that series that have aged poorly or didn't work well to begin with.

I would consider all of those games that capture the essential survival horror experience. For more outside the box stuff, there are some RPG maker games, some of which you can get for free, like Mad Father, Ib, or Hello Charlotte. They obviously don't have anything close to the realistic graphics of AAA titles, and have to rely on other things like storytelling, sound design, and general weirdness to create a horror atmosphere. Because of that, they can be more of an acquired taste.
I've played some of the the Silent Hill games (but not the first) and probably wouldn't put them at the top of my list. I think some of the best horror games are Dead Space, The Evil Within (both) and Until Dawn. Man of Medan is good for just a single play through.

There is a horror video game that I'd like to get but I think it's only available digitally. I can watch horror movies in the dark or read horror literature in a dark space (using my book light a friend got me or reading on my Kindle Fire which has it's own light) and that doesn't bother me. So I doubt it would bother me to play this game in a dark room.

In past while living with the parents, I used to get afraid. But now a days I live alone and also learned to cope with the darkness and the loneliness. So yeah not much impact it has on me. I don't see much issues with the horror games being played in the dark.

I've played some of the the Silent Hill games (but not the first) and probably wouldn't put them at the top of my list. I think some of the best horror games are Dead Space, The Evil Within (both) and Until Dawn. Man of Medan is good for just a single play through.

To quote Stephen King, "the Horror Bone, like the Funny Bone, is on different places in different people". Dead Space and The Evil Within are both "action horror" compared to Silent Hill, which is more "psychological horror". Speaking purely for myself, I'm always going to lean towards the psychological stuff, though I remember the original Manhunt shaking me up back in the day!

As for playing horror games in the dark: Duh! For extra effect, I'd recommend leaving a window open on a windy night, I remember playing SH4 all alone with a window open upstairs and jumping right out of my skin!

Come to think of it, I am sure I played Silent Hill 3 in the dark, as I vaguely remember the subway section in 2003 with the dogs. It was rented out from Movie Xpress. Well, I managed to finish it, just in the nick of time. ?

As for playing horror games in the dark: Duh! For extra effect, I'd recommend leaving a window open on a windy night, I remember playing SH4 all alone with a window open upstairs and jumping right out of my skin!
Especially if you are living in places like say that is close to desert or say country road with nobody at night on roads. Yeah that's pretty much kick in effect. Horror games are fun when there are nobody in town either. Its definitely fun to play those games in such case lol.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back