Persona 5 Royal removes homophobic scenes for western release

persona-5-royal-homophobic.png

Persona 5 Royal will be removing homophobic scenes for western release, confirms video game developer Atlus.

Speaking to IGN, Atlus Communications Manager, Ari Advincula, explained that a series of scenes — involving Ryuji and two gay characters — will be changed to no longer show homosexuality in a “negative light”.

Advincula continues to speak about localisation efforts involving Persona 5 and Persona 5 Royal.

We actually were able to go through some of the lines that players may not have received as well, look at that feedback, and then [update it] for the current generation. Royal was a chance to make it right.
Speaking to GameSpot, Senior Project Manager, Yu Namba, explained that the two male characters seen with Ryuji were “portrayed [as]… predatory”.

I think the community had a very strong response to that, and you saw that, and that was definitely altered for Royal.

As a localisation manager, I really cannot do too much about what has already made it into the game. Our team members felt a little bit of awkwardness about when working on it. And with Royal, we were determined to see if we could do something about it at least localisation-wise.
Persona 5 Royal heads to PS4 on March 13.

Meh, it does come off pretty bad to be honest. Though people will complain because it is censorship.

Even if it's a little change made on a massive game where LGBTI representation is not very present, it's good to know they listen to feedback and try to work to improve the message of their work. We have a responsability as game devs to transmit positive and constructive messages through our craft and it is good to see that even big companies do some effort in that sense.

Isn't that like against freedom of speech? I mean homosexuals opinion is "freedom of speech" and "anti homosexuals" is not freedom of speech? That's the problem of western left wing, they can't handle the freedom of speech when they are the one in control of it.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back