Discussion Paper Mario: The Origami King Preview

Clout

Trophies
Kotaku
There’s a nice balance to Origami King. At one point you might be in a dungeon heavy on turn-based battling, but then it’ll break up these segments with combat-free, action-based stretches, or mostly peaceful exploration, or wandering around solving puzzles and chatting with random denizens of the Mario universe. So while I’m going to devote a bit of column space to discussing the turn-based battle system below, you should know that this is just one of the many ways you’ll spend your time in Origami King.
VGC
There’s still hope these systems will evolve as the game progresses, as there’s still plenty left for the Origami King to unravel. And there’s lots to love, too: the game world is beautiful, full of personality and fully open like the old days. The script is on-point with plenty of humour and another fan request, companion characters, have returned to the game.

None of these systems are likely to transform Origami King into the hardcore RPG sequel many fans have long-craved, but it could yet reshape it into a worthy instalment.
IGN
Nintendo has set a new precedent for re-imagining their major franchises on the Switch by taking established formulas and redefining what those games could be for new audiences on, but Paper Mario: The Origami King feels a bit like a half-step. The humor and light RPG elements still shine here, but those expecting a return to the glory days of The Thousand-Year Door, or those expecting something completely new, may be a bit disappointed. If you’re looking for a lighthearted romp through a colorful kingdom with a band of whacky Mario characters, you’re in for a treat.
GameXplain

The game is kind of sounding promising, I hope it can bring me back into the paper mario series.

Bruh I didn't even know that there's more than one paper mario game...only one I played was the original for N64. The nostalgia is real

So apparently the game has leaked online, nearly all of it available for viewing. Careful when looking for this.

Not a fan of the paper mario. I loved the concept but not something I personally would go for if you are speaking in terms of the gameplay value and spending the time for the churning time on game. I think that is one reason I am passing it on and have no plans to take up but yeah I can see some mario fans may like it.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back