Overwatch replaces McCree's noose spray in-game

overwatch-replaces-mccree's-noose-spray-in-game.jpg

An Overwatch update has removed a McCree's noose spray and replaced with a horseshoe that says “Bad luck” on it.

The noose spray is frequently used by players alongside other sprays which allows players to mimic the hanging of in-game characters. The spray’s removal comes shortly after the death of two Black men by hanging in California along with the discovery of a noose in the garage of Black NASCAR driver, Bubba Wallace.

Activision Blizzard has yet to comment on removal of the spray. The publisher has recently removed an “OK” gesture from Call of Duty Warzone after criticism on how closely connected it was to the white supremacist movement, as well as renaming an in-game skin from “Border Wars” to “Home on the Range”.

Overwatch is available on PS4, Xbox One, Switch and Windows PC.

Was it a noose or a lasso? It if was a legit noose, there is room for debate on if it should have been removed or not. It if was a lasso, then this madness needs to stop. People need to get grow up.

Was it a noose or a lasso? It if was a legit noose, there is room for debate on if it should have been removed or not. It if was a lasso, then this madness needs to stop. People need to get grow up.
I believe it's a noose as described in the post above.

And in that debate, I'd be on the side of, nooses are a real thing that have been used to kill people of all kinds of colors by all kinds of states since time immemorial . So I guess I'd still say people need to grow up. Put down the critical theory and pick up some critical thought.

I do get why some see them as a symbol of oppression however. That's why I think there is at least room for debate.

Was it a noose or a lasso?

PFaskwq.png

Its was a noose but i dont really get the debate,NickNailer above summed it up nicely.
Id neck my self but all the fucking nooses are gone

what am I not going to kill myself now that Overwatch doesn't have a drawing of a noose? every character also carries a gun around, are we really regressing back to the days people thought video games cause violence?

Seems like the community of the game is abit split on the topic of this noose.
a vocal minority were for the removal while others were not and others just questioned why.
then there were those that simply said it wasn't racist.

Overall though it's still unclear on why the company removed it but knowing the company it's prob got something to do with a small influx of reports they received in regards to players using those sprays, it wouldn't be the first time they did something due to a report influx.

But based on the feedback I've read on the forums from users that were for the removal. I think it's pretty self evident those that were against the noose just tied in their own racially reinforced viewpoint on the world onto the spray in question and surmised that it 'must' be linked to the Lynchings in america in 1900s instead of it's historical usage. Which is both funny and incredibly ignorant if you ask me. This whole debate around the topic of this noose reminds me of a video i've watched a few years ago that I believe is still relevant now. The groups that shout the loudest about representation and racism tend to be the ones that are the "bad" people they scream day and night about.

But whatever, Overwatch is a dead game anyway in my book as everyone I knew that played that back in the day just jumped back to TF2 after like a year and with Valve going through some major changes on the hierarchy there and with the continual decline of Overwatchs viewer and player retention, it's only a matter of time before the game gets shutdown or something an then it's back to finding work elsewhere.

as for WoW though is nearing it's end and with it's abysmal failure in BFA, The latest expansion called "Shadowlands" is no doubt going to be its 5th "make or break" moment since the cost of development and support for the product isn't worth the effort from a business standpoint as the company would earn more by just shutting the product down and releasing something new or seemingly new like WoW Classic.

none of this effects me though as I dont own a blizzard account nor play any of their products. So whatever the official reason is going to be I have no real penny to lose. I feel sorry though for those that still do play this game as it'll prob be another dramafest again.

Seems like the community of the game is abit split on the topic of this noose.
a vocal minority were for the removal while others were not and others just questioned why.
then there were those that simply said it wasn't racist.

Overall though it's still unclear on why the company removed it but knowing the company it's prob got something to do with a small influx of reports they received in regards to players using those sprays, it wouldn't be the first time they did something due to a report influx.

But based on the feedback I've read on the forums from users that were for the removal. I think it's pretty self evident those that were against the noose just tied in their own racially reinforced viewpoint on the world onto the spray in question and surmised that it 'must' be linked to the Lynchings in america in 1900s instead of it's historical usage. Which is both funny and incredibly ignorant if you ask me. This whole debate around the topic of this noose reminds me of a video i've watched a few years ago that I believe is still relevant now. The groups that shout the loudest about representation and racism tend to be the ones that are the "bad" people they scream day and night about.

But whatever, Overwatch is a dead game anyway in my book as everyone I knew that played that back in the day just jumped back to TF2 after like a year and with Valve going through some major changes on the hierarchy there and with the continual decline of Overwatchs viewer and player retention, it's only a matter of time before the game gets shutdown or something an then it's back to finding work elsewhere.

as for WoW though is nearing it's end and with it's abysmal failure in BFA, The latest expansion called "Shadowlands" is no doubt going to be its 5th "make or break" moment since the cost of development and support for the product isn't worth the effort from a business standpoint as the company would earn more by just shutting the product down and releasing something new or seemingly new like WoW Classic.

none of this affects me though as I don't own a blizzard account nor play any of their products. So whatever the official reason is going to be I have no real penny to lose. I feel sorry though for those that still do play this game as it'll prob be another dramafest again.
Pretty much this. Also contextually the noose makes total sense. McCree's basis is an old west lawman. Death by hanging was incredibly common in the old west. And it wasn't for black people but criminals.

But "do not own a blizzard account" is the real MVP

As a side note, the whole ok sign thing was a 4chan prank, I talk about it here

There even a link to the ADL page, calling it a hoax in my article

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back