Netflix's Resident Evil

Bur

Newcomer
Trophies

This looks like Resident Evil for fake fans of the series, chaps. This stinky mess will undoubtedly be canceled shortly after it airs. Seriously, how does this follow the games other than the inclusion of vague references? Pass.

I'll give it a chance. But I really do feel as if Capcom has milked this franchise something terrible.

Rip and I were discussing this on Biohaze today, because I don't know what to think anymore. Like, how many times does Capcom have to return to Raccoon City? :D

OK. It appears they've rebuilt the city, so I guess it's technically not the same city. But even so. They've been going back to Raccoon City so many times since they blew it up in Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. Like with all these spin off games, movies, and remakes, there never seemed to ever be an end to it. Plus, those Wii shooters that retold the events of those games, also included Raccoon City.

It feels as if they cannot move things ahead in a way that's not openly milking it. Even though, yes, they're moving things ahead to the 2030s.

It's just insane! ?

It's fine if they return to Raccoon City, but this would have been way more interesting if it focused on the Spencer Mansion incident from the first entry in the game series. That could make for an excellent limited series event instead of this botched adaptation.

This is apparently a new Raccoon City. But I don't get why they always go back to a city they destroyed in the timeline, 23 years ago. They could base a new storyline in another region, even in the United States.

Anyway, I'm amused with the unenlightened taking issue with the casting of Lance Reddick for Albert Wesker. It becomes a race issue when the argument focuses on skin color rather than an actor's individual talents. The counterargument seems to be one that advocates for visual consistency. In other words, since Wesker is White in the games, he also needs to be White in any adaptations for it to be truly faithful. This is a flimsy argument and it doesn't hold up well when other, more relevant factors such as acting skills are considered.

Reddick is a fine chap with impressive credentials. His roles in The Wire and the John Wick series are fine examples of his multilayered talents. I'm not even concerned as the character is in good hands with Reddick at the helm. I can't say the same for the series, though. The first trailer didn't really do much for me.

Meh. They've milked Raccoon City into the ground over the last few decades.

As if they needed to blow it up, when they drilled into it themselves. :p

I honestly wish they would like, learn that this nostalgia tripping is doing more harm than good. It's really stopping the series from making much progress.

I'd rather they actually showed off more about the new Umbrella, or had Jill coming back. But nope. It's easier to rehash what's familiar territory, only to then do more or less the same thing later on. Meanwhile, what about all of the new storylines they could focus on? It's like they just add that in one tiny piece at a time, only for it to not really go anywhere in the long run. It gets to be annoying, because it begins to feel like they don't have faith in their own games, so every new game is an experiment for a different genre.

Capcom is already aware of the demand for such characters, but they choose to omit Jill outside of putting her in remakes. But even Chris looks freaking awful, and doesn't even act very clued up anymore. They've basically ruined that character. They don't even seem to like hiring actors that remotely resemble the characters, and they blame photo realism. Yet the dude in RE8 looks more like Chris from 6 than the actor portraying him in 7.

Realism, my ass. You know? They just need to make better casting choices. :D

There's nothing wrong with just casting someone that seems the most suitable for the part rather than a focus on nonsensical details like having the actor look identical to the original appearance of the character. It seems unlikely you'll find a talent that has an identical physical appearance, mannerisms, and so on. Not to mention finding a good actor to play the part also. There needs to be balance, chap.

I'm not sure why you ignored my point about Lance Reddick as Wesker, but here we have an established actor who I'm absolutely confident will do the character justice. Alright, so he's bald and Black. Why do either of those things matter here? Not that you directly expressed those opinions, Tommy, but your argument for photorealism shares some parallels to my position. Anyway, it seems like a convenient and moot point for conservative fans to make rather than confronting harbored feelings.

They should keep their race the same, though. They did this to Edward Carnby too. At first, he was American. Then he was Korean. It really doesn't look right.

Why is race important here? I can understand if it's a movie about Black slavery where it would be obviously inappropriate to cast a non-Black actor in the role of the oppressed. Not here, though.

The description of the character on paper makes Wesker sound like a generic villain. Just a person who is involved with a bio-weapons black market and has enhanced physical abilities. Sounds like the role meant for a White person, right? Hardly. Literally any actor of any race could play this character faithfully.

I guess you are right. But he wasn't white to begin with. So it's like breaking 'tradition' or whatever you call it.

By disrupting the status quo and breaking away from so-called tradition, the series can move forward. Capcom has been trying to do that, with mixed results mind you, but are hopefully learning from those experiences.

I guess this would be fine to watch, I'll judge maybe after I've finished watching this. ?

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back