Netflix support on Wii U, 3DS discontinued from July 2021

netflix-support-on-wii-u-3ds-discontinued.jpg

Netflix support will be discontinued on both Wii U and 3DS from July 2021, Nintendo has confirmed.

The Netflix app was previously removed from the Nintendo eShop for 3DS and Wii U on 31 December 2021, making this the final step in the process.

A statement from Nintendo reads:
The Netflix app was removed from Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS Family systems on Dec 31st, 2020. They are no longer available for new users to download.

It is possible for existing users to re-download these applications at this time. Service for both applications will be discontinued on June 30th, 2021. Thank you for your support of these applications over the years.

Do you still use Netflix on Wii U or 3DS?

Yeah, it's definitely not my go-to for Netflix, but I still use my 3DS most days and my Wii U every so often, but only for gaming. Not a huge loss, I'd wager.

Whilst most people won't be using it, I'm sure there are a few people that are going to be disappointed. It would be interesting to get some actual numbers

Whilst most people won't be using it, I'm sure there are a few people that are going to be disappointed. It would be interesting to get some actual numbers

Just use the Switch, most likely better experience.

I'd wager extremely low numbers, since the Wii U was phased out relatively quickly and those that bought it (myself included) didn't do so for its' media capabilities. I'm sure you're right, though, there are probably some who do actually use it for streaming.

The Wii U was my favorite console to watch streaming media on. I loved how when using Prime Video the IMDB facts about the actors and scenes would appear on the tablet. And for some reason Netflix at 1080p just looked better when played from the Wii U, like the colors seemed more vibrant than when I used the PS3.

Ah well, time marches on.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back