Naughty Dog accused of stealing musician's song in the The Last of Us Part 2 CGI trailer

Clout

Trophies
@Neil_Druckmann @Naughty_Dog hey are you aware that the true faith cover you put in your last of us 2 trailer is a replica of my cover that came out 10 yrs ago? I wrote original parts not in the original song that are copied exactly by whoever covered it. I am heartbroken.

— Lotte Kestner (@lottekestner) June 4, 2020

Here is her version on Spotify (track 11):

Here is New Order's original:

Here is her version on Spotify (track 11):

Here is New Order's original:

It sounds very alike! I'd be heartbroken too if that was my cover and they'd taken it without permission or any credit.

The game's in the name. Very naughty of them. :p

I feel for the musician, but sadly this sort of stuff happens all the time. Is it just on my end or has the tweet been taken down? That's what happens when you try to go head to head with a large company like Naughty Dog it seems.

Trying to do a tune that sounds unlike another tune is hard to pull off, as there are so many similar chords, beats, keys and all that. I have heard bands being accused before and not knowing the song they allegedly ripped off. So it won't be the first time somebody has heard something, and thought that they deserved credit as they supposedly done it first.

I think many chinese games too have copied the soundtracks from the EU and the US based bands. And they dont even pay the royalty. Which is kind of sad to hear. I am sure this will be handled legally. And even in worst case scenario like pulled off game it's too late I guess.

I get annoyed when I hear this song by Hunters & Collectors that sounds like a Boston song. Juice Newton also did an intro for a country song that suspiciously sounded like "Everything I Own" by Bread. This has been an issue for artists for like, the longest time. ?

Well she can try and take them to court, but without money or proper copyright, it will be a very uphill battle.

Well she can try and take them to court, but without money or proper copyright, it will be a very uphill battle.
She will no doubt lose a lot of money and time to find these big guys are not to be messed with!

It's already 18 June in the UK, so the game is technically just a day from being released. Yeah!

The game looks very dark and sadly, very much repetitive. Kill people (a lot). Kill the infected. Grab dumpsters. Loot. Run. Repeat. With that said, I'm sure it's going to be a gorgeous game. One reviewer didn't seem to think much had been done to it, though.

She will no doubt lose a lot of money and time to find these big guys are not to be messed with!

only chance she had is to have properly copy righted the song in the first place, but doesn't seem likely.

Was that a real song Joel played in the car, while he was with Ellie in the first game? He called it a "winner".

Oh, I saw a video an hour ago with spoilers. Jesus! You're gonna want to play this tomorrow to see what unfolds.

The game looks very dark and sadly, very much repetitive. Kill people (a lot). Kill the infected. Grab dumpsters. Loot. Run. Repeat. With that said, I'm sure it's going to be a gorgeous game. One reviewer didn't seem to think much had been done to it, though.

Judging from your quote, it seems that Part II is going to be pretty formulaic, which is kind of a disappointment, to be honest. :(
I don't want to drive the thread off-topic, but I will say that some of the reviewers who are reviewing Part II have not given it the highest praise.
TheWrap said:
But just know that this is a game that simply refuses to be what it should be. What it so desperately wants to be. It trips over its own feet at every opportunity.
Polygon said:
The Last of Us Part 2 depicts the future, yet it fails to escape its own past.

Yeah. Even Days Gone has more varied gameplay. Although that's repetitive too. They've only made some minor adjustments to the "puzzles". Like you have to swing a rope to get to a ledge or something. You can die falling off a cliff. But for the most part, it seems like an enemy wave comes at you, you dispatch the threat, and this cycle is repeated for probably over 20 hours. It appears the infected are somewhat like The Walking Dead these days, where they appear due to the overall theme, but present themselves as an inconvenience. The real enemies are just these humans patrolling in a way that seems clumsy. They just walk up and down the same spot as a trio. Like I said, in Days Gone, they're more spread across a camp.

Anyway, I know this is about the game's music. Guess we got sidetracked here. ?

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back