Mystery Men - Plot, Cast, Trailer, Soundtrack, Reviews

Ana

Trophies
yrzhtUw.png

Rating: PG-13 (for comic action violence and crude humor)
Genre: Action & Adventure, Comedy, Science Fiction & Fantasy
Directed By: Kinka Usher
Written By: Neil Cuthbert
In Theaters: Aug 6, 1999
Runtime: 121 minutes
Studio: Universal Pictures

THE PLOT

Champion City's greatest superhero is Captain Amazing--but when he does away with all of the city's supervillains, he faces a daunting crisis of publicity. After losing his Pepsi sponsorship, Captain Amazing concocts a plan to release one of his former arch-nemeses--the dastardly Casanova Frankenstein--and usher in a new wave of good press. But the plan backfires when Casanova manages to capture Amazing, and Champion City is left without her savior. It's up to a rag-tag team of super-powered up-and-comers to step forth and protect the streets from evil and solve the mystery of Captain Amazing's disappearance before Casanova can unleash his new superweapon upon the unsuspecting citizens.

THE CAST

William H. Macy as The Shoveler

bcEjcTg.jpg

"God gave me a gift. I shovel well. I shovel VERY well."

Ben Stiller as Mr. Furious
LeHGVfC.jpg

"I guess tonight the lone wolf hunts... alone."

Hank Azaria as The Blue Raja, Master of Silverware
Po434QB.jpg

"Good evening, gentlemen. We weren't expecting to see you again so...spoon!"

Janeane Garofalo as The Bowler
LMsZuNm.jpg

"See, that's why, in general, a mad scientist is less desirable than a garden-variety scientist."

Kel Mitchell as Invisible Boy
UAO3j9l.jpg

"I am transparent. I am like the window. I am see-through. I'm like Saran Wrap."

Paul Reubens as The Spleen
OBMHCpj.jpg

"If you want to know what my power is, pull my finger."

with

Wes Studi as The Sphinx
PjNGWeZ.jpg

"You must be like the wolf pack... not like the six-pack."

and

Tom Waits as Doc Heller
F76aFQK.jpg

"Totally nonlethal, but totally effective."

Featuring

Geoffrey Rush as Casanova Frankenstein
F3FaHd2.jpg

"Yes, of course, you may absolutely bring za brewskies."

and

Greg Kinnear as Captain Amazing
JCG3dNx.jpg

"You know, tooth decay and gingivitis can be a crime."

THE TRAILER

SOUNDTRACK
  1. "Back In 1999" John Oszajca 3:45
  2. "All Star" Smash Mouth 3:19
  3. "Keep Keep Movin'" Dub Pistols 3:42
  4. "The Mystery Men Mantra" (feat. Terry Bradford, Will Wheaton & Nancye Ferguson) Mark Mothersbaugh 4:11
  5. "No Way" Freak Power 4:14
  6. "Who Are Those Mystery Men" (feat. Romaine Jones) Kel and the M.A.F.T. Emcees 4:08
  7. "Rainy Day Parade" Jill Sobule 3:05
  8. "Sometimes" Michael Franti & Spearhead 3:48
  9. "Won't You Come Down" Spy 4:04
  10. "Gangster" Citizen King 2:43
  11. "No More Heroes" Violent Femmes 2:54
  12. "Indigo" Moloko 3:34
  13. "Disco Inferno" The Trammps 3:34
  14. "Night Fever" Bee Gees 3:30
  15. "Mystery Men Oath" Ben Stiller & William H. Macy 0:42

REVIEWS

VCbHOGC.png

• "A story that sparkles with emotional warmth, strong jokes and great performances from Hank Azaria, Janeane Garofalo, Lena Olin, Eddie Izzard, Greg Kinnear, William Macy, Geoffrey Rush and Ben Stiller." - Jon Lui, The Straits Times
  • "This bunch achieves peaks of sublime nuttiness." - Bob Graham, The San Francisco Chronicle
  • "Surprisingly, this spoof's heart is genuinely warm." - Simon Houpt, Globe and Mail
  • "Look, you sons of bitches: Mystery Men is a good movie. I'm serious. It's a creative, clever deconstruction of superhero movies made during the genre's infancy. What's more is that it manages to accomplish that without feeling overly cynical. Yes, there are some elements of dark humor, but the lighthearted chemistry of the primary cast more than balances that out to make something that can be as equally cold and edgy as it is warm and fuzzy. We're talking about a movie that's coming out in the aftermath of the Joel Schumaker Batman movies, which Mystery Men clearly takes aim at--its own Champion City not being far removed from the "industrial-Gothic by way of a 90s warehouse rave" aesthetic of those films' Gotham. Similarly, the Captain Amazing character is a creative way of parodying the product placement and commercial tie-ins that those movies had become rife with, with the character's driving force literally being how to get more corporate sponsorships to line his bank account. I could see people being turned off by the movie's more scatological elements--I mean, there's literally a hero whose power is farting--but, that's also on a team with a character whose superpower is he gets angry. He doesn't get stronger when he's angry. He doesn't transform. No, he just has the capacity to become very angry. Another character can turn invisible, but can only do so when absolutely nobody is looking at him. That's a funny idea, and the movie actually manages to come up with seemingly the one possible scenario where that ability would be useful. TOM WAITS IS IN THIS MOVIE. He plays a mad scientist who makes goofy non-lethal gadgets. One of them is a gun that makes people's clothes shrink so tight that they're incapacitated from discomfort. It's amazing." - Mr. Elk, The Mandrake Air In-flight Reader"
KBC9A6K.gif

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back