Mortal Kombat 11 Developer Diagnosed with PTSD due to Graphic Violence

mortal-kombat-11-boxart-logo-902x507.jpg

A Mortal Kombat 11 developer has revealed that he has been diagnosed with PTSD after working on the game, due to the graphic violence within the game itself. Mortal Kombat 11 was a good seller but can easily be called one of the more controversial games in the series.

The developer spoke of his time working on what could be one of the most violent fighting games of all time. Throughout 2018, the developer in question had to spend most of his time looking at violent and gory animations. In addition to those animations, the developer also had to look at research material from real life situations to create over the top gory in-game animations with a touch of realism about them.

"You’d walk around the office and one guy would be watching hangings on YouTube, another guy would be looking at pictures of murder victims, someone else would be watching a video of a cow being slaughtered." the anonymous developer said. "I’d have these extremely graphic dreams, very violent. I kind of just stopped wanting to go to sleep, so I’d just keep myself awake for days at a time, to avoid sleeping."

The developer mentioned that the development process involved watching Youtube videos and pictures of murder victims being slaughtered. “The scary part was always the point at which new people on the project got used to it. And I definitely hit that point.” At this point, the developer made sure to see a therapist who diagnosed him with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Soon after the diagnosis, the developer started noting that some of his fellow developers were also suffering from the condition.

For a more in-depth read on this developers experiences developing Mortal Kombat 11, the full interview can be read over at Kotaku.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back