Microsoft acquires Bethesda, future of games on PS5 uncertain

microsoft-acquires-bethesda.jpg

Microsoft has acquired Bethesda, meaning titles like Dishonored, Doom, Fallout and more are now sitting under the Xbox Game Studios label.

A report from Bloomberg suggests Microsoft purchased Bethesda for $7.5 billion USD, with Xbox head saying that titles like Starfield, The Elder Scrolls 6 and more will be considered for non-Xbox platforms like PS5 and Switch “on a case by case basis”.

Moreover, Microsoft promised to honour agreed-upon console exclusivity timings for Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo, meaning it’ll be a while until the titles appear on Xbox Series consoles. It's also been confirmed that Bethesda titles will soon be added to Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass subscription program.

Bethesda’s Pete Hines said of the acquisition:
So why the change? Because it allows us to make even better games going forward. Microsoft is an incredible partner and offers access to resources that will make us a better publisher and developer. We believe that means better games for you to play. Simply put – we believe that change is an important part of getting better. We believe in pushing ourselves to be better. To innovate. To grow.

Xbox head Phil Spencer said of the deal:
Just as they took the bold first steps to bring The Elder Scrolls franchise to the original Xbox, Bethesda were early supporters of Xbox Game Pass, bringing their games to new audiences across devices and have been actively investing in new gaming technology like cloud streaming of games.

One of the things that has me most excited is seeing the roadmap with Bethesda’s future games, some announced and many unannounced, to Xbox console and PC including Starfield, the highly anticipated, new space epic currently in development by Bethesda Game Studios.

We’ll keep updated as learn more, including PS5 availability of future Bethesda titles. Until then, what do you make of the acquisition?

I think it's a decent move for MS and Bethesda, honestly. MS is moving further and further away from 'exclusives,' as times move forward, and as they look to spread their offerings around to as many platforms as they can, the idea of a console war is getting more and more remote. I'm a game collector, so I hope consoles stick around along with physical games, but I can see a future where it's all digital and all revolving around PCs or niche streaming devices. MS has made a move that makes sense for their new approach to publishing, and Bethesda have made a move that's pretty much ensuring their core franchises stick around for a long time to come, and with the same studio.

Hell yeah.

The Evil Within series is so underrated. This still doesn't confirm as to whether they'll continue it, but it's a start. :)

Well it will be an interesting journey for both Microsoft and Sony as we are moving more towards the "lightweight" ages also known as "on-the-run' approach as everyone has a mobile device and non stop on it. I hope the console concept doesn't go away or rudely diminish because it was about 30 years ago most either had a SEGA, NES SNES etc. with CDs or Cartridges, but we are leaning more towards the Jettisons approach too as peoples lives are on the go, I mean take the Nintendo Switch for example. It will indefinably get slimmer and slimmer I think the consoles are here to stay atleast for a while in the next 20 years when i will be 50 then i can see it going more "remote" its really hard to say with all of the demands and products going like crazy.
I think it's a decent move for MS and Bethesda, honestly. MS is moving further and further away from 'exclusives,' as times move forward, and as they look to spread their offerings around to as many platforms as they can, the idea of a console war is getting more and more remote. I'm a game collector, so I hope consoles stick around along with physical games, but I can see a future where it's all digital and all revolving around PCs or niche streaming devices. MS has made a move that makes sense for their new approach to publishing, and Bethesda have made a move that's pretty much ensuring their core franchises stick around for a long time to come, and with the same studio.

Nothing crazy for me on their games, so I don't mind MS owning them. Though I hope Sony buys up someone of equal value like Atlus.

The Evil Within games are actually scarier and play better than many of the recent Resident Evil games. Funnily enough though, nobody online even cares about Bethesda. It's always Capcom this, Capcom that, which is kind of annoying. :D

The Evil Within games are actually scarier and play better than many of the recent Resident Evil games. Funnily enough though, nobody online even cares about Bethesda. It's always Capcom this, Capcom that, which is kind of annoying. :D

probably because capcom (sadly) has better IPs under their belt.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back