Opinion Let’s talk about BioShock Infinite’s politics.

Konradleijon

Newcomer
Trophies
At first it shows a accurate portrait of Turn of the century America, AKA a racist, classist, Ableist shithole where only a small degree of rich white men have any power.

But then it becomes about the Multiverse, amd Video games and the entire thing is just Misdirection about the story of Booker Dewit and the story of a White dude and fighting himself from a timeline where he fucked up and became Comstock.

Not to mention what the game director said

Maybe people wanted me to write about a hero who rose above that. Elizabeth is the character I invented who does sacrifice herself to break the cycle. But I think most people are destroyed by oppression. I could tell a fairy tale about people who are ennobled by it. But in my experience, as a student of history, that's rare.
If you pretend there are a lot of happy endings for those stories, in some ways it elevates the oppression to something it's not.
Says the Haitian revolution. Which while a clusterfuck of bullshit and oppression ended much better then the brutal,Slave economy that it replaces.

It wasn’t really that hard being better then pre-revolution Haiti but still.

A white dude talking about oppression is just rich. Their is a story to tell about how revolutionizes become just as bad as the regime they Overthrew, see Animal Farm for that but that’s not what Bioshock infinite is about.

And as movie bob says it all turns into another story about a white mans self destructive tendencies a really good story about a White mans self destructive tendencies but stories like that are a dime a dozen.

I like the stuff about the Multiverse and different realities. But as moviebob says it’s just a smoke screen for Bookers story. And I don’t care how good the metaphorical elephant is I am more interested in the Dog.

At first it shows a accurate portrait of Turn of the century America, AKA a racist, classist, Ableist shithole where only a small degree of rich white men have any power.

I don't think this picture of the US is any more accurate than the vision of a perfect, flawless nation that was portrayed in 50's era TV. I think both are rather silly, naive visions of what the US was. Both are reductionist. I find it amazing that people want to hold the past to the standards of today, while at the same time people want to pretend that nothing has changed.

I used to be a fan of Movie Bob, back when he started the Game Overthinker. But over time he lost the plot and went off the rails. RazorFist is right to take constant pop shot at Chipman's expense.

Last edited:
A white dude talking about oppression is just rich. Their is a story to tell about how revolutionizes become just as bad as the regime they Overthrew, see Animal Farm for that but that’s not what Bioshock infinite is about.

why can't a white dude talk about oppression?

If you pretend there are a lot of happy endings for those stories, in some ways it elevates the oppression to something it's not.

This line from director says a lot. I don't think endings are always meant to manipulate the narrative that SJW people want. And even if you do try to have such narrative, the real life works lot diferently. People can't manipulate reality by manipulating the made up consutrcts and pushing as a norm. Let the SJW think and try, but real life it's always surival of fittest even if that means white kids ruling and SJWs taking their candy yet not able to change real life construct.

I was watching a video the other day where the guy was saying something to the effect that the game has a lot of great themes, but has nothing to say about them...

I was dumbfounded. It's like, did you not get the impression they were saying racism is bad without saying racism is bad? Did you not already know that racism is bad, has nobody told you that before? Do you honestly need them to spell it out for you so plainly?

I get that there are other themes in the game, but that's the one he was getting at, in that particular video.

I was dumbfounded. It's like, did you not get the impression they were saying racism is bad without saying racism is bad? Did you not already know that racism is bad, has nobody told you that before? Do you honestly need them to spell it out for you so plainly?
Yeah video game and entertainment industry wishes to rewrite existing social norms by creating new while suppressing the innocents. Like creating lara croft that hates men or pushing horizon zero down type female narrative by emasculating men to accept female avtars. This will go on as long as threshold doesn't cut it and wake the society up how things have been going wrong.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back