Last Jedi’s Rian Johnson Didn’t Do ‘His Star Wars Homework,’ Says Witwer

Tek

Trophies
Star Wars voice actor Sam Witwer is the latest to join the debate about Disney's sequel trilogy by claiming Rian Johnson didn't do his homework when writing and directing the divisive Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

Discussing The Last Jedi's place in the trilogy, Witwer told Twitch fans during a Star Wars Battlefront II stream, "Last Jedi, to me, felt like a movie made by a guy who hadn't quite done his homework." He went on to explain, "I think Rian Johnson's a talented guy, but Bruce Lee didn't develop Jeet Kune Do without learning Kung Fu first. You can't reinvent Star Wars without knowing Star Wars first and he didn't -- for me -- make a compelling argument for why Luke didn't go and help his sister."
While Witwer made his feeling on The Last Jedi clear, he accepted that Episode VIII still has plenty of fans. "This is just my opinion, guys," he added. "There were a lot of things in The Last Jedi I found compelling in a Rian Johnson filmmaker point of view. They just didn't fit into Star Wars. I don't think he did his Star Wars homework. The themes, what it's about, what the characters are about. But as a standalone film, if I don't know what the Jedi are or who Luke is or what he represents, I think there's some compelling things in there. If that's meaningful to you, that's awesome."

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back