News Kentucky residents get lucky by getting COVID vaccine that didn't expire

Nightrider

Trophies
Members of the public in Kentucky lucked into getting vaccinated for COVID-19 on Christmas Eve when local Walgreens stores had extra doses that would have expired.

The excess doses were offered to local first responders, Walgreens staff and residents in Louisville and Lexington, many of whom where older than 65, according to Walgreens spokesperson Phil Caruso.

"COVID-19 vaccines are not available to the general public at this time," Caruso said in a statement. "We experienced an isolated situation in which the amount of vaccine doses requested by facilities exceeded the actual need."

In a phone interview with ABC News, Andrew Masterson said he and his wife felt fortunate to have gotten the vaccine serendipitously -- and acknowledged that there are many vulnerable Americans still waiting to receive their shot.
"We were just in the right place at the right time," Masterson said. "I just felt like I had to jump on this opportunity. But I do feel very guilty. We were just lucky."

He and his 16-year-old son were last-minute shopping Christmas Eve when a friend who happened to stop in at Walgreens found there were extra doses to be had. The friend immediately thought of the Mastersons -- particularly Melissa, Andrew's wife, who has been battling breast cancer, stage IV, for the second time.

"We rushed up there, they took our names down, we had to get our doctor's approval to make sure it was OK for Melissa to take with her chemo medication -- waited a little while -- but then sat down, got the shot, and five minutes later we were walking out the door, with hope," Masterson said.

If vaccine doses expire faster than we can administer them, we should just give them out randomly.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back