Joe Biden gives US Soccer ultimatum: Equal pay, or no World Cup funding

Tek

Trophies
The players' spokesperson Molly Levinson said they intended to appeal that decision, and Biden, who is expected to be the Democratic Party's presidential candidate for the next election, encouraged them to keep fighting on Twitter.

Moreover, he warned US Soccer that should the equal-pay dispute not be resolved, he would withhold funding for the men's World Cup in 2026, which is due to be staged in the USA, Mexico and Canada.

"To @USWNT: don't give up this fight. This is not over yet," Biden wrote on Twitter.

"To @USSoccer: equal pay, now. Or else when I'm president, you can go elsewhere for World Cup funding."

Earlier this week, USA captain Megan Rapinoe had offered to be Biden's running mate on his presidential ticket.

"I don't want to put you on the spot – I think I could still play soccer and do this," Rapinoe told Biden. "But if you need a vice-president, I'm just saying I'm available for an interview. We can talk logistics and the details. Put it on your list. No pressure."

"You would have to take a pay cut to become vice-president," responded Biden, before adding:

"Think what you've done, Megan… It's all about the team. It's about a team, and you get it. "You treat the other team-mates with respect. I really mean it, it's a gigantic thing."

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back