Is there a link between video games and violence?

a debate as old as the SNES itself :p I can see why people say that but I don't believe it. Games can help us relax, let off some steam and get away from our troubles. Anyone who says otherwise just has issues of their own.

I think overall it's fair to have the violent games. I mean we don't have anything else to do other than that in most open world scenarios. You can't play puzzle in scenario of zombies or terrorism.

Of course violent games promote violent behaviours. It also promotes mental health awareness as people usually don't know they're crazy until they play some violent video games and decide they want to replicate their game play. lol
In all serious though, I think violent video games makes people feel a little more at ease when it comes to violence but some people just don't know where reality ends and fiction begins.

i go with Jerlene because i had a really serious attitude to my dad for a while without relizing so yea i go with her

I certainly don't agree with you all! Yes, in the case of psychos - games can encourage "harsher behavior". However, the situation there is bad parenting causing psychos.

Well, honestly, when will the calls for censorship ever end? I mean, looking at music - how many people have said "Ozzy Osbourne causes suicide."? Well, it does - even for normal people - considering it's replayed a billion times on classic rock stations - :poop:. No, joking aside, plenty of well adjusted people - can listen to Marilyn Manson or the harshest rap.

i don't get why you disagreed?

Well, I mean, come on. :cautious: Who hasn't played Mortal Kombat when they were a kid? Also, I've played war games where I would machine gun down people from an airplane (World War II - Pacific Islands).

None of this has made me insane now!

Some games are meant to be violent like say zombies and survival games. I don't know if we can change them to be non violent. And if we do what are we going to achieve out of that too. I have not seen things changed with games orientation in that context.

Seriously, people trying to censor or ban everything are a threat. I mean, when does it stop? It doesn't for those "nanny types". Well, one silly example was in New York City - where the government tried to ban large sodas!

Anyhow, no doubt some things are bad for you. For instance, illegal drugs, even though I think they should be legalized, sometimes have horrendous consequences - like Parkinson's disease (showing up in old age and linked to past cocaine use). Well, the question is, "Should society and parents simply ignore the reality of the danger?".

Last edited:
Anyhow, no doubt some things are bad for you. For instance, illegal drugs, even though I think they should be legalized, sometimes have horrendous consequences - like Parkinson's disease (showing up in old age and linked to past cocaine use). Well, the question is, "Should society and parents simply ignore the reality of the danger?".
Problem is that there are reasonable bans. Like there are people who play PUBG and attacking some religions. Some playing some comic and TV hero and doing the justice thing. Films and games do have effect on people.

Absolutely not. It can act as a stress relief, sure. Saying it causes real violence is just just stupid, though.

Not necessarily stupid. Considering there are people who acted under the influence of the video games. It's just that video gamers don't want to admit that fact.

Acted under the influence of video games? Most would outgrow being influenced by games, I think.

If that were to be true. The new Zealand shooting would have counteracted that fact. Or the racist pewdiepie who spreads racism would have been some mild talker guy in real life.

What does pewdiepie being racist or the shooter have to do with video gamra? He's just an idiot and they were just cowards.

I don't think there is a must relationship. People who are not violent will not do any violent action after playing a violent games. And not all video games are violent.

Exactly. Postal 2 for example wont turn a non violent person into a killer.

Not necessarily stupid. Considering there are people who acted under the influence of the video games. It's just that video gamers don't want to admit that fact.

Well, some gamers would admit that fact, but the bottom line - is that we can't censor/ban everything to change behavior. Well in some extreme cases, like Covid-19, things are different, but seriously, how can we nanny all society? Think about it! Well, if we did, you can be assured, there wouldn't be any fun!

Of course violent games promote violent behaviours. It also promotes mental health awareness as people usually don't know they're crazy until they play some violent video games and decide they want to replicate their game play. lol
In all serious though, I think violent video games makes people feel a little more at ease when it comes to violence but some people just don't know where reality ends and fiction begins.

Society should focus on helping those - who without help, would otherwise take video games etc.. - the wrong way!

Last edited:
Violence comes from within. There has been extreme violence in the world for thousands of years before "violent" video games. Actually, compared to say, medieval times, the world seems laid back.

Obviously, it's not as simple as yes or no. But I'm strongly opposed to blaming video games for violent acts. If someone commits a violent act, or has fantasies of doing so, they already have issues.

A crazy Australian guy called "Alfred Gimpy" is planning to kill me, because of his morbid obsession with Manhunt. I guess that counts. ?

Nah. I am only joking! ?

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back