Is subscription and pay to win the future of gaming?

Gopnik

Trophies
I'm pretty sure that 99% of the MMO/MMORPG video games out there have items that you can buy with real money to skip some grinding and make the game easier for you overall. Okay, what is your opinion on that "pay to win" stuff that the games offer? Have you ever purchased something and if yes, how much money did you pay for what?

When I was playing a MMORPG back in the time it was mainly pay to win but I managed to become good at it without giving a single cent. Personally, I wasn't OK with buying something that will skip the grinding part as the fun will be gone and also, it's very expensive. But the players that were paying for the items became way too overpowered.

These days every game development company is coming up with strong hero and additional purchases to win the levels. And paying for the in app or in game items through micro transaction can be pretty painful for the users. I mean paying for subscription + game+ in game items. That would surely drain the gamer.

Do you think this could be a future?

We're pretty much in the future right now. Though I do hope its a trend that backs down and vanishes.

I too hope that trend does back down. Because I am sure people don't want to be locked into the subscription model. And it won't play well with others. I am wondering that what may happen with the game studios in such case.

I too hope that trend does back down. Because I am sure people don't want to be locked into the subscription model. And it won't play well with others. I am wondering that what may happen with the game studios in such case.

to be fair, I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for quicker ability to beat the game since I do lack time these days.

I don't think it will be a main theme that we will see on a lot of different games. Gamers aren't just going to sit down and be happy with games pushing pay to win mechanics here.

to be fair, I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for quicker ability to beat the game since I do lack time these days.
But that would pretty much make the game useless because it's same as cheat. Where we use it to clear the level when with our own skills we can't.

I hear you, this just frustrates me to no end.

I remember when I first got into online gaming, my first major game (outside of browser games) was World of Warcraft, Blizzard had it right there and that was a good system.

Now, everything is lootboxes, microtransactions and gambling. I'd rather pay a flat fee subscription.

I don't think subscriptions are as bad as microtransactions, if you charge a flat fee to buy and play the game forever, you're going to have trouble maintaining the game, pumping out updates and keeping the servers online.

Subscriptions make sense, lootboxes and p2w micotransactions are just pure and utter greed from the companies.

Even with subscription I think it can get a lot higher cost. I mean imagine each gaming company comes up with that. In that case things go really bad. I am sure even steam store would come up with subscription plan to handle this sort of the saturation.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back