Question Is PC gaming still a thing in 2020?

I think gaming is now, all about consoles and mobile. Over the years, what will remain is compact consoles and mobiles because people are very concerned about portability and compactability.

Infact, I dont even own a PC now so I think I wont be turning to that anymore.

I think gaming is now, all about consoles and mobile.
Not true. PC has the most sales for games. Consoles and the mobiles have limited power on specs. So the PC is pretty dominant for the high spec games where the gamers use the AMD and NVIDIA rigs for their gaming. Which console and mobile gamers can not do that most of the time.

Microsoft itself killed PC gaming with their stupid Xbox. Additionally, Steam store is too weak to make PC the number one platform just like the good old days.
What are you talking about? There's never been a better time to be a PC gamer because of Microsoft's one windows thing that ensures that any Xbox exclusives are also automatically available on windows. If anything Microsoft killed the Xbox to promote the PC. On top of which unlike the seventh generation the eighth generation consoles are all essentially really locked down pcs (Switch aside), so porting from console to PCs have never been easier.

There is a reason most triple A games release on the PC, Xbox and PS3 simultaneously, and it's not because companies enjoy setting large piles of money on fire to cater to a small market.

Last edited:
Strange topic. Of course PC gaming is a thing. Anyone asking this question doesn't use a PC for games or has no interest in PC gaming. I only properly started gaming on the PC a few years back, before doing so played only on consoles. All of the genres people play on consoles are readily available on PC, all of the the multi-platform are on PC and the PC also has its own exclusives.

I normally buy games when they are a bit older and then become cheaper than the console versions. You also get many more free games on the PC with no subscription.

The real question should be why people don't dip a toe into PC gaming....

There is a reason most triple A games release on the PC, Xbox and PS3 simultaneously.
Not just that entire graphic card industry and the AMD depends on the PC gaming. I feel it funny when console users say that PC gaming is dead. I mean who wants to buy console separately and add more devices at home when single PC can do gaming and streaming and all other PC things.

Not just that entire graphic card industry and the AMD depends on the PC gaming. I feel it funny when console users say that PC gaming is dead. I mean who wants to buy console separately and add more devices at home when single PC can do gaming and streaming and all other PC things.
Console owners only say PC gaming is dead because they don't understand and probably never tried gaming on their PC.

yeah pc gaming is still a thing, what kind of question is that? lol

Of course. There's still Steam. What seems like endless games right there to get.

Console owners only say PC gaming is dead because they don't understand and probably never tried gaming on their PC.
Yeah saying PC gaming is dead is like saying PC world is dead which is funny at it's best because they typed that comment from the PC. Consoles being expensive and useless for other computing, it is more likely to die just like how Sony PS Vita died and many other nintendo product died.

PC gaming is for serious gamers. Consoles are for hobbyists. As you say, most simulation/management/strategy games are released on PC. Flight sims and the like cannot realistically be played with a joypad. Likewise, trying to play an RTS on console without keyboard and mouse is tough.
PC gaming offers more mods, more customisation, more indie titles and games from smaller publishers. More retro games, cheaper games. Not everything is AAA. Some of the best games are not AAA.
Console gaming has its place. But PC gaming is the daddy.

PC gaming is for serious gamers. Consoles are for hobbyists. As you say, most simulation/management/strategy games are released on PC. Flight sims and the like cannot realistically be played with a joypad. Likewise, trying to play an RTS on console without keyboard and mouse is tough.
PC gaming offers more mods, more customisation, more indie titles and games from smaller publishers. More retro games, cheaper games. Not everything is AAA. Some of the best games are not AAA.
Console gaming has its place. But PC gaming is the daddy.
I disagree. PC gaming is not just for serious gamers. I play all of the normal PC games, don't touch simulations. My choice of whether to buy games on PC or PS4 normally comes down to price. I play all games with a controller and sometimes even play PC games connected to my TV (although rarely do that now I have a QHD monitor). PC gaming is for anyone although people don't seem to realise.

I disagree. PC gaming is not just for serious gamers.
Quite. It’s not ‘just’ for serious gamers and some serious gamers use consoles. We’re not talking extremes but generalisations.

PC gaming is for anyone although people don't seem to realise.
There are barriers to PC gaming. Some assumed rather than true. Price, complexity, compatibility, physical space.

Quite. It’s not ‘just’ for serious gamers and some serious gamers use consoles. We’re not talking extremes but generalisations.

There are barriers to PC gaming. Some assumed rather than true. Price, complexity, compatibility, physical space.
I think most of this is based on assumptions and misunderstanding. PCs are typically more expensive than consoles, but games on consoles are typically more expensive than on PC. Over the life of a console I would expect a console only owner would pay more than a PC owner for the hardware and software covering the same games.

As for size, yes, a PC does take more space but they aren't fridge or washing machine sizes! If someone really wanted a PC I'm sure they could make space. Space and cost is probably an excuse rather than a genuine reason.

for someone who was mainly a playstation gamer (AKA me):

- Playstation exclusives are less interesting to me as time goes on. (Also recent censorchip policy is annoying).
- OG PS4 got underpowerd very quickly into the generation.
- Xbox exclusives i can get day 1 on pc.
- Steam regional pricing is a game changer.

I have to agree considering PC gaming gives the gaming. Nobody uses console to design games. PC is used to design games so PC always comes first. Console is for just wasting the money. But overall I think the PC gaming may have it's own last run for few more years before they get merged like handhelds went to mobile.

I think the restrictions of consoles combined with the flexibility of PC is not only keeping PC alive, but making it grow.

I actually tried to swap to console gaming recently. Due to various life events, I had to abandon my expensive gaming rig. I bought an Xbox One X, and subscribed to the Xbox Game Pass. Ended up giving up and buying a $1000 laptop that's more powerful than the X.

Why? Options.

On PC, I can customize every game to my liking and play it exactly the way I want to play it. That, combined with a massive and insurmountable game catalogue dating back decades, is the reason why PC will never die. People want options, choice, and to be able to play their old favorite games, and they'll always pay a premium to do it.

I disagree. PC gaming is not just for serious gamers. I play all of the normal PC games, don't touch simulations. My choice of whether to buy games on PC or PS4 normally comes down to price. I play all games with a controller and sometimes even play PC games connected to my TV (although rarely do that now I have a QHD monitor). PC gaming is for anyone although people don't seem to realise.

For me, it's the experience that determines console or PC for a particular game. When it's those third person adventure games set in a huge world I always go console. I like to play those on my couch, eight or nine feet away from my gigantic 4K TV, and just take it all in.

If I am playing any kind of first person game, strategy, traditional RPG, or some kind of competitive game (even if with a controller, like Bleeding Edge) I'll opt to play on my PC. My PC stays in my home office, I don't stream from it or anything. But I find being close to it, the mouse and keyboard for most the previously mentioned types of games, and close proximity to my monitor, improves those experiences. And it's not bad visually. While I don't have a 4K monitor I have a large 1440p one and hardware to push most games to their limits.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back