Question Is Opera web browser a gaming browser?

sinfuls

Newcomer
Trophies
Anyone else get the ad for Opera, the one that claimed it as a "gaming" browser? They showed color customization options as well as a way to stay updated on gaming-related news & streams. But I downloaded it and it just seems like a regular browser with a slightly more refined interface than Chrome. Even so, I still prefer Chrome, it feels more solid and not so finicky. I'm really confused at why they advertised a "gaming" browser when clearly it isn't anything of the sort lmao

I've heard of Opera, but I've never heard it was geared toward gamers. I stopped following Styx, but back when I was, he was talking about alternative browsers and it brought that one up. I guess he uses something called Pale Moon.

I actually love Dissenter, but I stopped using it because I just don't think it's very safe. It will not self update, and looking at the website it looks like they don't update it regularly anyway. And a browser that isn't updating is just begging for hackers to exploit it. And honestly, it's just Brave with the Dissenter app built directly into it, and without the Brave rewards program.

Granted, they don't seem to offer the dissenter app anymore apart from the browser, but I still have the zip file so I can still add it to pretty much any browser.

It's the first time I'm hearing it. I've heard of the browser itself though but didn't actually think it was geared towards gamers at all. Must be just a marketing thing.

It's the first time I'm hearing it. I've heard of the browser itself though but didn't actually think it was geared towards gamers at all. Must be just a marketing thing.

Definitely, I'm a little ashamed I fell for that to be honest. It's just a really exciting idea. I'd love an actual browser designed around gaming and keeping up with the gaming industry.

Definitely, I'm a little ashamed I fell for that to be honest. It's just a really exciting idea. I'd love an actual browser designed around gaming and keeping up with the gaming industry.
I think you're at the right place for that :)

Yeah, it's mostly just marketing hype and nonsense. Opera's never been a particularly great browser, and now that they've switched to the Chromium engine they suddenly think they 'get it' and that makes them perfect for everything. No thanks, I'm happy with Brave and WaterFox.

LTT has a bit of a breakdown, as well:

Yeah, it's mostly just marketing hype and nonsense. Opera's never been a particularly great browser, and now that they've switched to the Chromium engine they suddenly think they 'get it' and that makes them perfect for everything. No thanks, I'm happy with Brave and WaterFox.

LTT has a bit of a breakdown, as well:

Ah excellent I've watched this guy before and enjoy his criticisms, ty!

Anyone else get the ad for Opera, the one that claimed it as a "gaming" browser? They showed color customization options as well as a way to stay updated on gaming-related news & streams. But I downloaded it and it just seems like a regular browser with a slightly more refined interface than Chrome. Even so, I still prefer Chrome, it feels more solid and not so finicky. I'm really confused at why they advertised a "gaming" browser when clearly it isn't anything of the sort lmao
Gaming browser? I had a rough time using it for we browsing on my phone let alone play games on it!

I always prefered Chrome and now a days slowly moving towards the Edge. Both chrome and edge, and now even the opera has the same engine - webkit behind. So it's not really any different to use three of these browsers. Either way for anyone who is into the browser based games should be using chrome.

Sounds like they are trying to get attention as they slowly die away, most people use chrome or firefox and if anything else newer ones that promise more privacy.

Sounds like they are trying to get attention as they slowly die away, most people use chrome or firefox and if anything else newer ones that promise more privacy.
I know Firefox used to be my main browser, but I didn't like how they drew the long knives for Brendan Eich (and I used to support gay marriage back then, I've since come to regret that support) so I dropped them. They are simply on my computer for if and when Brave won't do what I need. But since they released Brave 2, it's become stable and reliable so I've not really had to use another browser.

I did use Dissenter for a while, but it doesn't self update, and they don't update it all that often, so it just doesn't feel safe. The only real advantage it has over Brave is sometimes YouTube ad will slip past Brave somehow, that never happened on Dissenter. And on Brave I have to run the Dissenter app in developer mode, and it asks me every time I start it up to turn it off, and I'm like, no. On Dissenter, the app is built right into the browser.

But it's not worth it, plus on Dissenter you get messages all the time saying it failed to update, every few weeks, and the only way stop it is to uninstall and reinstall, but it will happen again in a few weeks.

This is true. Considering the opera has a lot of ads in it on both Desktop and Browser based games. For example, each week they add some shortcut to the mobile base mini version of their app. And it adds the shortcut to some website which is promoted by the opera. That is annoyning and not safe for privacy.

I am completely new to Opera in general. I usually use Google Chrome. The gaming aspect of the browser sounded nice so I set it up, and I love the extra features it brings as opposed to other browsers. The ram limiter made me want to switch instantly. I do have some issues/complaints/feedback. Also, I don't know if certain things already exist, even though I have gone through all of the settings. Also, Idk if these issues are exclusive to the GX browser, or just all Opera browsers in general.

I personally don't like having the sidebar on at all times, it's a bit distracting, but I do think it's pretty useful. Maybe an option to have it pop-up when hovering your mouse all the way to the left edge? Or just make it easily toggleable, maybe using the menu in the top left? Or even just a small button in the bottom left that toggles It.

I know Firefox used to be my main browser, but I didn't like how they drew the long knives for Brendan Eich (and I used to support gay marriage back then, I've since come to regret that support) so I dropped them. They are simply on my computer for if and when Brave won't do what I need. But since they released Brave 2, it's become stable and reliable so I've not really had to use another browser.

I did use Dissenter for a while, but it doesn't self update, and they don't update it all that often, so it just doesn't feel safe. The only real advantage it has over Brave is sometimes YouTube ad will slip past Brave somehow, that never happened on Dissenter. And on Brave I have to run the Dissenter app in developer mode, and it asks me every time I start it up to turn it off, and I'm like, no. On Dissenter, the app is built right into the browser.

But it's not worth it, plus on Dissenter you get messages all the time saying it failed to update, every few weeks, and the only way stop it is to uninstall and reinstall, but it will happen again in a few weeks.

I've been hearing a lot about Brave, I'm also checking out a browser called vivaldi that seems to be pretty good.

I've been hearing a lot about Brave, I'm also checking out a browser called vivaldi that seems to be pretty good.
Brave is a very solid browser from my own experiences, I've not had the ads slip through on YT so far, so I can't really comment on that, but it's a solid browser for privacy and security based on what I've experienced.

I can tell you that Ubisoft support plain will not load on Brave. I tried clearing my cookies. I tired turning off my shields. I was thinking they've been down all week. They were ignoring me on the forums, so I went to face book to complain and they suggested clearing cookies. That's when I tried it with Firefox and it opened right up.

That's the first time since Brave 2 that I've had a site just plain not work on Brave. Used to happen a lot on the original Brave. Like Minds. It would work on old Brave, but only sort of. So you do need to keep an alternative browser still if you go with Brave as your main like I do.

I can tell you that Ubisoft support plain will not load on Brave. I tried clearing my cookies. I tired turning off my shields. I was thinking they've been down all week. They were ignoring me on the forums, so I went to face book to complain and they suggested clearing cookies. That's when I tried it with Firefox and it opened right up.

That's the first time since Brave 2 that I've had a site just plain not work on Brave. Used to happen a lot on the original Brave. Like Minds. It would work on old Brave, but only sort of. So you do need to keep an alternative browser still if you go with Brave as your main like I do.
Working fine for me...

ubisupport.png

Guess you're special, because I tired just 7 or 8 times this week and it would not let me, until I tried on Firefox.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back