Question Is My Xbox One X Dying

atif93

Newcomer
Trophies
Hello All,

I am coming onto this forum because Microsoft and others can't help me answer some questions. Is my Xbox One X console dying? I purchased it in 2018, so it's almost 4 years old.

1. It's original HDD died in 2020, since then I have upgrade it to a SSD which is performing fantastically.

2. In the middle of this year twice within a few months of each other, when playing a game my console locked up and froze and I got the Black Screen Of Death. These were system corruption issues.

3. Games such as Just Cause 3 and in particular driving on the motorway / highway I get missing textures from the games at times and it lags, same goes for some basic actions in Sims 4 too, SSD is still working good.

4. After listening to the "Microsoft and gaming experts" I factory formatted the console, like I did previously when I received corruption issues, then played Just Cause 3 again.

5. Almost upon me finishing a mission, it froze and locked up and returned me to the home screen, also a new problem now is that my Xbox controller which has had zero issues, is now becoming difficult to control when driving and some actions are taking a while to respond to now.

6. Also I tried to install Tekken 7 in the disc drive, three times it failed to install despite me possessing 1.1TB of storage space, the disc only had a minor fingerprint, which is weird.

Is my console close to death, can anyone please help me?

Thank you!

To be fair I think they are just getting old. Microsoft keeps updating it and still allowing relatively new games to be developed for the Xbox one when it struggles to perform in general. I have found my Xbox one buggy like loading sea of thieves takes a century or cod. I do think it's time to upgrade to the next-gen and it's probably just the end of the lifespan.

could easily be a bug in the OS and they just need to update it. Maybe you could roll back the Xbox one inversion and just use it offline but not many would wanna do that.

But ideally, the factory reset should've solved the majority of the issues. Maybe water damage?

Yes I tried a factory format but to little effect, now the controller is being unresponsive. No I have no water near where it's placed, it's well ventilated too. Thoughts please?

To be fair I think they are just getting old. Microsoft keeps updating it and still allowing relatively new games to be developed for the Xbox one when it struggles to perform in general. I have found my Xbox one buggy like loading sea of thieves takes a century or cod. I do think it's time to upgrade to the next-gen and it's probably just the end of the lifespan.

could easily be a bug in the OS and they just need to update it. Maybe you could roll back the Xbox one inversion and just use it offline but not many would wanna do that.

But ideally, the factory reset should've solved the majority of the issues. Maybe water damage?
No Sir, there is zero water damage and it's already got all the updates installed, I play offline anyway, any other thoughts please? I think it's personally dying!

At 4 years old any tech can become faulty, or even sooner if unlucky. So a few things I suggest.

Can you install a different SSD? Could be the one you have in right now is already becoming faulty.

Have you tried a different controller for the driving issue?

Anything else in the xbox you can replace to see if it fixes it?

At 4 years old any tech can become faulty, or even sooner if unlucky. So a few things I suggest.

Can you install a different SSD? Could be the one you have in right now is already becoming faulty.

Have you tried a different controller for the driving issue?

Anything else in the xbox you can replace to see if it fixes it?
Hello, these are really good suggestions, thank you.

The funny thing is the original Xbox HDD died last year, so I then replaced it with a SSD to gain some speed. SSD is still working and loads games fine internally, I checked the health of my externals too, it’s fine as well.

I have been through one or two controllers for the system, fortunately this controller had zero issues, I am being told that the Xbox, now has communication problems with the controller.

I had a talk with a Microsoft rep, definitely thinks it’s on the way out.

Out of warranty repair costs are £235 not worth it for a 4 year old console in my opinion

Hello, these are really good suggestions, thank you.

The funny thing is the original Xbox HDD died last year, so I then replaced it with a SSD to gain some speed. SSD is still working and loads games fine internally, I checked the health of my externals too, it’s fine as well.

I have been through one or two controllers for the system, fortunately this controller had zero issues, I am being told that the Xbox, now has communication problems with the controller.

I had a talk with a Microsoft rep, definitely thinks it’s on the way out.

Out of warranty repair costs are £235 not worth it for a 4 year old console in my opinion
Yes, definitely not worth it. If you're going to fork out that much, you may as well put the rest of the money on top and get yourself a new or used Xbox Series X console.

Yes, definitely not worth it. If you're going to fork out that much, you may as well put the rest of the money on top and get yourself a new or used Xbox Series X console.
My issues started in the middle of this year, those issues I mentioned didn't exist until December. In the middle of the year, twice on two occasions, whilst playing a game I got the black screen of death. I factory formatted that and that bought some time. Now in December, just a few days ago my perfectly functioning controller is becoming difficult to respond to some movements, also a game refused to install 3 times despite possessing 1.1TB, before finally installing, then there's other small issues, such as the other day after a factory format, when I was just about to finish a mission, the game crashed and froze, I got returned to the home screen, Microsoft Store keeps wanting to update, doesn't fully update at times too. Any thoughts?

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back