Question Is Dark Souls a JRPG?

Clout

Trophies
So I got myself into a little debate today with a few other gamers on Discord. I want to know what the people here think about this. Dark Souls is an RPG series made by a Japanese developer, so does that make it a JRPG? Why or why not?

giphy.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure its more of a western type RPG, so not really JRPG.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure its more of a western type RPG, so not really JRPG.
The reason it is called JARPG, is because the people behind are from Japan. And it is targeted at the western set of gamers, hence the entire development team makes it look like western game.

It's a franchise game that comes under as an action game as you can see it has that. But yes it is the target and based on the western regions set gamers.

Yep i think so, Action RPG made in japan, even though the aestethics are different from your typical Anime RPG, i don't think its right to call it a Western RPG only because it looks different.

Or better, just name it a (dark fantasy) RPG

A lot of japanese games are made for the western crowd the reason being some games are diversified to get specific outcome. Like japanese crowd may not enjoy western premises but the western may enjoy the both japanese and western premise in the game. In fact alot of EU based premises are used in games.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back