Opinion Inverting on the Y axis, why people do it...

Nicodemous52

Trophies
I'm calling BS on this article... I started gaming on the Atari 2600 when I was like 3 or 4, basically when I was old enough to hold a joystick and understand how to use it. Even back then, it bugged the hell out of me if pressing down made me go up and vice versa.

inverted controls is the devil's controls! It should be banned really.

Oh no, I like inverting the Y axis. And like Nic, I started on the Atari.

I can't really tell when I grew accustomed to it, with which game, but I suspect it probably involved flying of some kind. I was kind of big into flying sims for a while back in the 2000's.

Sort of see why people like it inverted (for flying), but I like things normal. Another one who had a first console of the Atari VCS. Anyone remember the advert tune? Still can't forget it after around 40 years!

Everyone's going Atari, the number 1 video game.

I'm calling bs on the one part of the article. I actually think they are on to something about the difference between becoming the avatar and acting upon the avatar. To go a bit farther, with my tongue placed somewhat firmly in my cheek, another way to say it would be that you Y axis inverters have a bit of a god complex...

I love an inverted Y axis, especially on a first person game, and here is why. Think of the right analog stick as your neck with your head sitting on it. If you want to look down at your feet you don't pull back on your neck, you push forward. To look up in the air you pull back on your neck. This is why an inverted Y axis makes sense and feels right to me.

I honestly never inverted and went with default even to date. I never find the value for the inversion. I am guessing this could be narrowing down on specific set of the game players. Maybe this could be limited sample and often such observations are not generic even if they say they are.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back