In Other Waters - Review Thread

Nat

Trophies
You are an Artificial Intelligence guiding a stranded xenobiologist through a beautiful and mysterious alien ocean. Study extraterrestrial creatures and their diverse environments through a unique interface, uncovering the secret history of this planet. What will you discover together?

Play as an Artificial Intelligence guiding a stranded xenobiologist through a beautiful and mysterious alien ocean. A non-violent sci-fi story, enter a world of wonder, fear and vulnerability, unraveling the history and ecology of an impossible planet. What will you discover together?

Launches April 3 for PC/Switch for $15 USD.

Metacritic
PC | Switch
Opencritic

Critical Hit 8/10
Despite how slow the overall experience is, In Other Waters is an imaginative escape into an alien ecosystem that manages to do a lot with very little if you’re willing to give it the attention and energy that it demands of you.
third coast review 3/4
In Other Waters ends up feeling like a bit of an experiment in game design and storytelling, but it’s a successful one. Great writing coupled with good sound design and a wonderful soundtrack make for a pretty compelling and immersive experience, even if the graphics are lines and dots.
RPS "Bestest Bests"
You get to be methodical. Curious. Work through all the different species you need to research. Log all the specimens you need. Update all the taxonomies until you know everything you can about this world. You can order it all, and order your mind. You can imagine Ellery’s careful steps. You listen to the deep, slow breath of the ocean rolling overhead and around you. Ah. Lovely.
wccftech 9.5/10
In Other Waters is engrossing, beautiful and perfectly balanced both in terms of immersive gameplay and intriguing narrative. It's relaxing without being boring, and thoughtful without treading the same tired sci-fi tropes.
GameSkinny 7/10
In Other Waters tells an intriguing tale that will get you thinking, but only if its slow crawl to the finish doesn't turn you away.
Tom's Hardware IT 9.3/10
An astounding gem coming from the most deep, caring and rich seabed. You wouldn't believe how much humanity you can find in this game's story. Don't miss it! (quote translated by the author)
PCGamer 80/100
Even though its world is alien, In Other Waters conjures the same sense of awe conjured by the real ecosystems of our own planet. Even in the most inhospitable places, life manages to find a way to thrive.
But Why Tho Podcast 8/10
A beautifully crafted atmospheric narrative driven game, In Other Waters, dives deep into the life of a scientist uncovering a mystery in the only way she knows how; trial and error, observation and data collection. While initially a steep learning curve once the player has immersed themself into the game and figured out the mechanics it’s a mesmerizing game that’s hard to put down and hopefully leaves players with a new understanding of the world around them.
GameInformer 6.25/10
In Other Waters’ gameplay and story aren’t enough to fuel the exploration it demands, but its world building is commendable. Unfortunately, this makes it suited more towards amateur biologists and cartographers than those looking for a gripping adventure.
fingerguns 10/10
When it was over, I had to catch my breath. The narrative is by far the most engaging and wonderful I’ve had the pleasure to experience this year so far and perhaps I can owe that to a variety of things. Not just the staggering writing throughout, or the fact the game came out of nowhere only to knock me sideways, but that it happened now. Right now. When the world is upside down and there’s so much fear and uncertainty surrounding us without any indication of when it may be over. It’s figuratively and literally, isolating.
gametyrant 8/10
In Other Waters is an excellent game that looks nothing like other indies I’ve played. It’s well worth your time, and it’s an exercise in tranquility and enlightenment.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back