Discussion I'm making my own Tamagotchi from scratch! Do you recognize the character?

sen

Newcomer
Trophies
Hello! ?

I am working on making my own Tamagotchi, hardware and all! The pixel art is crappy because I can't art but next week I have some sick custom assets coming in. I am so excited for the progress I've made so far. Once the polished assets are in I think you'll all really be impressed if you're a tamagotchi lover! The creatures will be able to visit each other via WiFi.

Please ask me any questions or give me some suggestions.

I'm using:
  • Adafruit Metro M4 Express AirLift (WiFi) - Lite
  • 1.8" TFT LCD Screen (160x128)

This is what I started out with (hand soldered, but its a rough job haha):

Hello! ?

I am working on making my own Tamagotchi, hardware and all! The pixel art is crappy because I can't art but next week I have some sick custom assets coming in. I am so excited for the progress I've made so far. Once the polished assets are in I think you'll all really be impressed if you're a tamagotchi lover! The creatures will be able to visit each other via WiFi.

I'm using:

Can i just say that this looks amazing, you certainly have some skills!!! I wish you all the luck and hope to see more development updates on this:)

Hello! ?

I'm using:

Wow, that's pretty dope! What made you start this project and how long did it take you to get this far? I wish I had the skills to create one, miss having a Tamagotchi. I think I might look online for one to play with for nostalgia!

Wow, that's pretty dope! What made you start this project and how long did it take you to get this far? I wish I had the skills to create one, miss having a Tamagotchi. I think I might look online for one to play with for nostalgia!

Hello! I think all said and done maybe this far took me about a month working on the weekends to make it happen. I started because my little sister got me a new Tamagotchi for my birthday since I loved it when we were little kids. I cannot wait for the new assets I have coming in! I HIGHLY suggest getting a Tamatochi On! They have come so far and its extremely fun. https://www.amazon.com/Tamagotchi-42835-On-Magic-Green/dp/B07R18MJGM

Hello! I think all said and done maybe this far took me about a month working on the weekends to make it happen. I started because my little sister got me a new Tamagotchi for my birthday since I loved it when we were little kids. I cannot wait for the new assets I have coming in! I HIGHLY suggest getting a Tamatochi On! They have come so far and its extremely fun. https://www.amazon.com/Tamagotchi-42835-On-Magic-Green/dp/B07R18MJGM
So roughly 8 days or so to make it happen, that's insane! Do do you this sort of thing for work or something or did you use a manual? I'm curious now lol! Thanks for the link, saved me some time there, Tamagotchi On it is!

So roughly 8 days or so to make it happen, that's insane! Do do you this sort of thing for work or something or did you use a manual? I'm curious now lol! Thanks for the link, saved me some time there, Tamagotchi On it is!

I am a full-time software engineer so of course that is helpful. :) For the hardware I had to do a lot of research. I initially started out with a board that was too slow to run the animations at a sane frame rate. Now I feel much more prepared for the hardware challenges!

I am a full-time software engineer so of course that is helpful. :) For the hardware I had to do a lot of research. I initially started out with a board that was too slow to run the animations at a sane frame rate. Now I feel much more prepared for the hardware challenges!
Oh my word, you are so bright and talented! I always wanted to do software engineer at university but never got round to it. It would be dope to see how far you get this project, take us through the journey! Are you working on anything else besides this project?

Looks very cool! I've never tried Tamagotchi but always thought it looks interesting. I've always thought it would fit really well on the smart watches that everyone's walking around with nowadays.

Looks very cool! I've never tried Tamagotchi but always thought it looks interesting. I've always thought it would fit really well on the smart watches that everyone's walking around with nowadays.

Ya actually initially I wanted it to be an apple watch app but I wanted it to be more accessible than needing a multi-hundred dollar device so I decided to roll my own hardware! I think it would be neat to code an additional app that can sync your monster to the watch though.

Ya actually initially I wanted it to be an apple watch app but I wanted it to be more accessible than needing a multi-hundred dollar device so I decided to roll my own hardware! I think it would be neat to code an additional app that can sync your monster to the watch though.

Yeah, that'd be cool. I'd definitely buy one of these things if it synced with my watch. I think there's definitely potential there, somehow combining it with exercising or steps, stuff like that. But your monster is really cool. I assume it's supposed to be one of the spirits from Princess Mononoke, but I can be ignorant of Japanese culture sometimes so maybe that's just a typical forest sprite or something, lol. Really good looking regardless. Wish I had that kind of talent.

I assume it's supposed to be one of the spirits from Princess Mononoke

That is exactly right!! Obviously I can't manufacture it with this character but I think it is a cute placeholder for now. :)

That's actually quite amazing. I can't wait to see what it is like when it is finished!

thats badass! how much did it all cost ya to build?

thats badass! how much did it all cost ya to build?

I had to buy two boards because the first one was too slow so that was about $70 total. The screen is $15 which I also bought two of (I ended up using a bigger size). So that is about $100.

For all the materials disregarding prototype its about $45 total, but for the final product I won't need nearly as many features as the board I am using right now has so the cost-per-unit to manufacture will come way down.

I instantly heard the music from the scene in my head :love:

Looks amazing. Really impressive.

I had to buy two boards because the first one was too slow so that was about $70 total. The screen is $15 which I also bought two of (I ended up using a bigger size). So that is about $100.

For all the materials disregarding prototype its about $45 total, but for the final product I won't need nearly as many features as the board I am using right now has so the cost-per-unit to manufacture will come way down.
so thats about $95 in total but the final product could be cheaper, nice. how much are you going to sell them for and where are you going to distribute them? do you have your own business?

:O That looks amazing. Working with physical hardware and being able to see something that you make must be amazing.
?Sadly im quite clumsy and afraid of touching anything that has wires.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back