Illinois COVID-19 restrictions will ease Friday for nonessential retailers and animal groomers, but it won’t be business as usual

Tek

Trophies
Thousands of vegetables, herb and house plants died after Adams & Son Gardens closed more than five weeks ago to help stop the spread of the new coronavirus.
But since Gov. J.B. Pritzker revised the state’s stay-at-home order, the Humboldt Park shop, which didn’t have to close but chose to, is again receiving truckloads of plants to sell to people who are staying close to home and eager to start gardening.
The changes to the stay-at-home order, which take effect Friday, are expected to generate some sales at cash-crunched businesses while providing Illinois residents with more ways to help a battered economy.

But merchants and many service providers, most of which had been branded nonessential, will operate under conditions still considered far from business as usual, especially amid ongoing concerns about the risk of exposure to COVID-19.
Under the revised rules, retail stores not considered essential still won’t be able to invite shoppers inside but will be allowed to take orders for pickup. Animal grooming services also can reopen May 1, and it’s clear people aren’t the only ones needing a trim.

A day after Pritzker announced pet groomers could reopen, Uncle Paws Grooming Salon was booked almost three weeks out.
Pet owners are trying to make up for lost time, said Tina Kozinski, owner of the East Side neighborhood grooming salon. Grooming is typically advised for dogs every four to six weeks to prevent health concerns such as fur matting or nail issues.

Kozinski welcomes the appointments after being closed for so long.
“I had to start working on my savings," she said. "I’m going to be working probably seven days a week for the next three weeks just to try to get myself afloat.”

Beauty retailer Ulta is easing back into operations with curbside pickup in some areas, but it’s unlikely the service will be available in Illinois on Friday, said spokeswoman Eileen Ziesemer. In addition to local regulations, Bolingbrook-based Ulta considers data on how prevalent COVID-19 is in communities near stores.
Once Ulta decides to offer curbside service at a store, the beauty retailer can roll it out quickly, Ziesemer said. Store managers and master and elite stylists were not furloughed and can manage the curbside service after going through training on safety protocols to limit contact, she said.
Chicago-based Paper Source, whose 135 greeting card, stationary and gift stores are temporarily closed, is starting to offer curbside pickup and delivery options, but none of the initial locations are in Illinois.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back