Question If already with a TV 4k and laptop RTX2060, what the best console combination: PS5 vs Xbox series X|S vs NONE?

DrMadruguinha

Trophies
Hi guys, I'm looking for a last-gen console given a scenario, so I really appreciate your experiences on this.

Scenario:
* Not much time (30+ years)
* Have a PS4 Pro, still have most of the library to play [I've been away from games for years].
* Have a laptop with RT2060, so can handle PC gaming fairly.
* Got a TV 55" 4k 120Hz, so ready for the full last-gen performance.

Goal:
* Play most/all previous-gen games but in 60Hz: (PS5, Xbox Series X or S?)
* Great immersive gameplays, like RDR1|2, HorizonZD, LoU1|2 : (PS5 only?)
* Kin for retrogaming emulation : (Xbox Series X|S? only)
* Kin for the subscription game service : (Game Pass (>?) PS Plus Extra)
* Easier sit-and-play game setup (avoid laptop fiddle of connecting TV, Win login-in, game app, etc just to turn on/off a gameplay).
* Only play at home (so mobile streaming)

Question:
Given the scenario and profile, what combination would you recommend?

(a) (keep PS4Pro) + Xbox Series S --> Game pass, compromised performance, retroarch(?)
(b) (keep PS4Pro) + Xbox Series X --> Game pass, great performance, retroarch(?)
(c) (sell PS4Pro) + PS5 --> PS Plus (Extra?), great performance, forget emulation(?)
(d) (sell PS4Pro) + PS5 + used Xbox One|Series S --> PS Plus (Extra?), X One|S S (retro and one-off game pass?)

(e) (sell PS4Pro) + PS5 + laptop-TV gaming --> Do any of you sorted a console-like laptop setup? (sleep/wake laptop via Bluetooth controller, map hotkeys on controller, game pass(?), etc)

PS.: For the moment, I would be happy for (E) as likely the best overall compromise, but never managed the laptop to work like a console-like laptop (turn on/off via controller, easy game app access, etc).

Really appreciate your feedback, hope it is also some food for thoughts for last-gen setups.

Thanks!
DrMadruguinha

If you're already equipped with a TV that has 4k resolution and a laptop with RTX 2060, you're well on your way to an immersive gaming experience. But with so many console options available, which one should you choose? Should you go for the PlayStation 5 (PS5), Xbox Series X|S, or none at all? Let's take a closer look at your scenario and goals to help you make the best decision.

Understanding Your Scenario and Goals
Based on your scenario, you have limited time for gaming and already own a PS4 Pro with a library of games to play. You're also interested in playing previous-gen games in 60Hz, experiencing immersive gameplay, retrogaming emulation, and subscription game services. Additionally, you prefer an easy sit-and-play game setup without the hassle of connecting your laptop to the TV every time you want to game, and you only plan to play at home without mobile streaming.

Comparing Your Options
(a) PS4 Pro + Xbox Series S: This option allows you to keep your PS4 Pro and add an Xbox Series S to your setup. You'll have access to Xbox Game Pass for a wide selection of games, but the performance may be compromised compared to the higher-end consoles. You may also be able to use retroarch for retrogaming emulation.

(b) PS4 Pro + Xbox Series X: Similar to option (a), you can keep your PS4 Pro and add an Xbox Series X for better performance. With Xbox Game Pass, you'll have access to a vast library of games, and retroarch may also be available for emulation.

(c) Sell PS4 Pro + PS5: If you're willing to part with your PS4 Pro, the PS5 offers great performance and an impressive library of exclusive games. You may also have access to PS Plus Extra for additional perks. However, retrogaming emulation may not be possible on the PS5.

(d) Sell PS4 Pro + PS5 + used Xbox One|Series S: This option involves selling your PS4 Pro, getting a PS5, and adding a used Xbox One or Series S to your setup. You'll have access to PS Plus Extra and the potential for retrogaming emulation on the Xbox. Additionally, you can enjoy Xbox Game Pass for a wide selection of games.

(e) Sell PS4 Pro + PS5 + laptop-TV gaming: If you're open to using your laptop for gaming, you can sell your PS4 Pro, get a PS5, and use your laptop connected to your TV for gaming. You may need to set up your laptop to work like a console, including sleep/wake via a Bluetooth controller and mapping hotkeys. You can also consider Xbox Game Pass for PC to access a variety of games.

Making the Best Choice
Considering your goals and preferences, option (e) may be the best overall compromise. By selling your PS4 Pro and getting a PS5, you'll have access to great performance and exclusive games. You can also use your laptop for gaming, though some setup may be required to make it function like a console. With Xbox Game Pass for PC, you'll have a wide selection of games to choose from.

I'm gonna agree with @Bastty ;

Making the Best Choice
Considering your goals and preferences, option (e) may be the best overall compromise. By selling your PS4 Pro and getting a PS5, you'll have access to great performance and exclusive games. You can also use your laptop for gaming, though some setup may be required to make it function like a console. With Xbox Game Pass for PC, you'll have a wide selection of games to choose from.

I have a laptop of similar spec and feel no real need to get an Xbox Series S/X because I can use my Gamepass subscription on PC wtih XBox exclusive games being included. The PS5 in this scenario just has more to offer through backwards compatibility and the exclusive games you won't find on PC.

Hi guys, I'm looking for a last-gen console given a scenario, so I really appreciate your experiences on this.

Scenario:
* Not much time (30+ years)
* Have a PS4 Pro, still have most of the library to play [I've been away from games for years].
* Have a laptop with RT2060, so can handle PC gaming fairly.
* Got a TV 55" 4k 120Hz, so ready for the full last-gen performance.

Goal:
* Play most/all previous-gen games but in 60Hz: (PS5, Xbox Series X or S?)
* Great immersive gameplays, like RDR1|2, HorizonZD, LoU1|2 : (PS5 only?)
* Kin for retrogaming emulation : (Xbox Series X|S? only)
* Kin for the subscription game service : (Game Pass (>?) PS Plus Extra)
* Easier sit-and-play game setup (avoid laptop fiddle of connecting TV, Win login-in, game app, etc just to turn on/off a gameplay).
* Only play at home (so mobile streaming)

Question:
Given the scenario and profile, what combination would you recommend?

(a) (keep PS4Pro) + Xbox Series S --> Game pass, compromised performance, retroarch(?)
(b) (keep PS4Pro) + Xbox Series X --> Game pass, great performance, retroarch(?)
(c) (sell PS4Pro) + PS5 --> PS Plus (Extra?), great performance, forget emulation(?)
(d) (sell PS4Pro) + PS5 + used Xbox One|Series S --> PS Plus (Extra?), X One|S S (retro and one-off game pass?)

(e) (sell PS4Pro) + PS5 + laptop-TV gaming --> Do any of you sorted a console-like laptop setup? (sleep/wake laptop via Bluetooth controller, map hotkeys on controller, game pass(?), etc)

PS.: For the moment, I would be happy for (E) as likely the best overall compromise, but never managed the laptop to work like a console-like laptop (turn on/off via controller, easy game app access, etc).

Really appreciate your feedback, hope it is also some food for thoughts for last-gen setups.

Thanks!
DrMadruguinha
Hey there, DrMadruguinha! Great to see you're exploring your options for a last-gen console setup. Given your scenario and goals, here's my take on the combinations you mentioned:

Option (b) - Xbox Series X: This seems like a solid choice. With your laptop's RTX 2060, you're already set for PC gaming. The Xbox Series X would provide great performance for last-gen games and the Game Pass subscription offers a fantastic value with a variety of games.

Option (c) - PS5: If you're really into the immersive gameplays like RDR1|2, HorizonZD, LoU1|2, the PS5 would be a great choice. The PS Plus subscription comes with some free games each month, and if PS Plus Extra brings even more value, it could be worth it.

Option (d) - PS5 + Xbox One|Series S: This could be an interesting combo if you want to cover all your bases. PS5 for immersive gameplay and Xbox for Game Pass and retro gaming. Just make sure you consider the budget and space for two consoles.

Option (e) - PS5 + laptop-TV gaming: This could offer a lot of flexibility, but as you mentioned, setting up a laptop as a console-like experience can be a bit tricky. It's a good option if you're looking for more versatility and don't mind investing some time to get the setup just right.

Remember, there's no one-size-fits-all answer here. It really depends on your preferences, priorities, and budget. If I were in your shoes and prioritizing immersive gameplay and convenience, I might lean towards Option (b) or (c). But if having a variety of options and exploring retro gaming is important, Option (d) could be the way to go.

Ultimately, think about what type of gaming experience you want to prioritize and which platform aligns best with your needs. Happy gaming! ?

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back