Howard Finkel, WWE Hall of Famer, dies aged 68

Maddox

Trophies
WWE Hall of Famer Howard Finkel passes away

WWE is saddened to learn that Howard Finkel has passed away at age 69.

When considering the greatest ring announcers in the history of sports and sports-entertainment, you’d be hard-pressed to name one better than Howard Finkel. A native of Newark, NJ, “The Fink” — a label that had been attached affectionately to Howard over the years — made his ring announcing debut at Madison Square Garden in 1977 for WWE’s predecessor, WWWF.

By 1979, Finkel was the full-time ring announcer for WWWF, and when WWE was established in 1980, The Fink became the first — and eventually longest-serving — employee. Finkel’s distinctive voice was instantly recognizable, and for more than two decades Superstars such as The Ultimate Warrior, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin and more would have a title victory marked by The Fink’s signature call, “and NNNEEEWWW World Champion!”

It's an absolute shame. I was a huge wrestling fan during the Attitude Era, as they call it, and The Fink was a huge part of that. Probably the best announcer's voice they've ever had.

I was reading something else, and there it was... a notice of his passing. I was disheartened. :(

He had a really good announcer voice. Horrible.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back