How to start streaming (Twitch, Youtube)

Petrick89

Trophies
Hello everyone,

this is a small guide how to start streaming online on Twitch (Youtube).

Streaming for Beginners

You can’t talk about live streaming without mentioning Twitch.
Started as a gaming-platform, in the past few years Twitch expanded and now has content of many different creators. You should know how Twitch works if you want to get into the world of live-streaming even if you’re not a gaming streamer.

Basics:

- Internet connection

Of course you can only start streaming if you have a good internet connection.
Recommended:
An internet upload-speed of at least 4-6Mbps.

- Recording Tools:
• (My choice) Action! Screen/Game Recorder (Full Version)
• OBS (Full Version)

- Twitch Account:
This is obvious, but you will need an account on Twitch to get started (enable 2FA !!) Follow and friend everyone you know IRL. This will be helpful later on.
(Alternative: Youtube)
Setup for both with the Action! Recorder is linked down below.

- Something to Stream
This is obvious too, maybe you want to stream games, maybe you want to stream yourself working or maybe you just want to stream yourself on camera. BUT I highly recommend streaming with a camera, because one of the main enjoyments of watching a stream is seeing someone react and express themselves. Streaming with camera WILL get you more viewers. (Read more about camera below)

Hardware:

The central part of hardware in any streaming setup is the computer. Desktop computers are the most popular choice for streaming. You can use a wider variety of hardware with them, and broadcasting software allows cool features such as creating scenes and using overlays.
So PCs are pretty much unavoidable for high-end streaming, this could help you build a streaming desktop computer:

• The CPU: It needs to handle simultaneous gaming and encoding. You’ll need a fairly strong CPU. The Intel Core i5-10600K and AMD Ryzen 7 5800X are respectable mid-range choices, and the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 is a solid budget-friendly option.
• The GPU: An Nvidia RTX graphics card has built-in hardware encoders. Other good GPU options are the Radeon RX 570 and the GeForce GTX 1660 Ti.
• OS: You can use a PC but also a Mac. You can even use a Laptop but you’ll need a good one if you want to use it for gaming and broadcasting, though.
• Dual-Computer setup(recommended): You can use one computer for gaming and the other for encoding and streaming. The one with a stronger CPU should be in charge of encoding.
Overall, you can start streaming with an i5 processor, 8 GB of RAM, and a solid internet connection.

- Microphone
Unless you’re an elite gamer who can attract and hold an audience simply by playing games, you’ll need to offer something more to keep your viewers engaged. Audio commentary is the least you can do — it does let you show some personality and lets you communicate with your audience. (together with a camera this will get you a huge viewer boost)
• HyperX Quadcast S
• Razer Seiren Mini
• Blue Yeti X
Microphones are always a good investment for streamers because the audio quality of your stream is paramount. You want people to be able to hear you clearly and understand what you say. If your viewers can’t hear you, they won’t stay on your channel. It’s possible to get away with a gaming headset’s built-in microphone for a while, but it would be best to opt for a standalone mic right away.

- Camera/ Webcam
A good choice is to add facial expressions and other forms of non-verbal cues to your roster of communication tools, you’ll want to invest in a camera. You can get good results with webcams, which don’t require a capture card:
• Razer Kiyo (60$)
• Logitech StreamCam (Better option for about 150$)
• Canon VIXIA HF R800 (Best option – around 250$)

(Advanced Gear)
Here is some of the gear you might want to consider as the subs start rolling in:
• Lighting — If you’re streaming with a camera, why not use some flattering light that makes you easier to be seen? Even a cheap clamp lights strategically placed can get rid of unseemly shadows.
• Green screen — Whether you want to add or remove your background, a green screen can come in handy.
• Game capture card — If you want a two-computer setup, or if you want to stream console games via a computer, you’ll need a game capture card. You have two options: external or internal. It might be tough to find a game capture card below the price of $150, though.
• Stream deck — A touchscreen that lets you trigger commands with a brush of your finger, a stream deck is a handy tool if you have a lot of scenes you want to switch between during the broadcast.

Hints
- Always test your setup before going live (maybe with some friends)
- Use overlays in your livestream
- Get your own logo + intro
- Activate Alerts

Final thoughts
Don’t underestimate the importance of video quality for live streaming. However, the choice of your streaming equipment depends mostly on your goals, not blind pursuit of quality. For a basic setup, a PC, a mic, and a webcam are all you’ll need.

Thank you for reading, I hope it was helpful to some of you! <3

USEFUL LINKS:
Streaming Tool worked best for me: Action! Game Recorder by Mirillis
-Setup Action! for Twitch: Live streaming gameplay to Twitch.TV - tutorial
-Setup Action! for Youtube: Live streaming gameplay to YouTube - Action! Tutorial
Alternative: Open Broadcaster Software | OBS
Twitch stream-settings: Twitch Streamers - Twitch Video Encoding/Bitrates/And Stuff
Helpful:

I plan on making my Twitch debut next week.. I'm not 100% happy with my setup, but I'm going to give it a go and use the experience to decide how best to tweak things.

I don't have a webcam yet, but I'm jumping in with a Turtle Beach headset for commentary, and Elgato HD60 S for console gaming capture.. We'll see how it goes! ?

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back