How much do you listen to video game reviews?

Martin Berisford

Article Author
Trophies
For me, I never really take heed of reviews around games, or films or music for that matter. I think it's all opinion at the end of the day anyway and some of the things that I like best are things that have been panned by the so-called critics. I don't see the point in them myself so obviously, I don't tend to read them, or if I do, I take no notice of them at all. What about you? Do you take notice of what the critics say or do you just do your own thing?

I look at reviews to see what concerns others might have. However, I generally don't base my decision to purchase on game reviews unless I unmask something that is a deal breaker. I always watch gameplay footage (unless it's a game I know I will purchase on release) to be sure that the game is something that I will enjoy.

I do listen to reviews especially the odd ones to see the challenges users are facing and the response of the developers, let's say it's a game, to it. Well, it is personal opinion, but we shouldn't discard red flags when we see one.

I might glance at them to see what issues there maybe or to confirm something I'm hoping for with the game. Otherwise I kind of ignore them.

I've have few reviewers I agree with and listen to. Useally my mind is mostly made up before hand so I mostly use reviews to confirm or deny my own suspicions.
But then again I spent all my money on games not everyone has the resources.

I think for me it depends on who is reviewing. Lot of critics give rating without much loving the genre. So I read the reviews on per genre basis. That's how it goes for me.

It depends on the game and the review itself actually. For certain games, I usually won't bother to listen to the reviews. For example, no matter the review, I will always buy a GTA game.

I think for me I'd say serious sam and few selective games are like that. I don't watch reviews or listen to them. Just purchase the game and build myself from there.

Definitely. I've noticed that a lot of reviewers don't even know what they are talking about. They'll just play a random game (maybe the first time they are playing a game like that) and won't talk from the fans perspective

Yes that's one reason many people who reviewed apex legends, metro exodus and few other games this year. And given bad reviews. I mean they didn't even compared those games with something functioning. Yet they reviewed it and for the sake of it from what I seen.

In some cases, probably most, the critics would be right I think. However, though, as noted by me and above posters - it all sometimes boils down to subjective opinions.

I think for me it depends on who is reviewing. Lot of critics give rating without much loving the genre. So I read the reviews on per genre basis. That's how it goes for me.

What method does the critic use? I mean, I can respect science - as in they are scientifically critiquing games. However, though, as noted again, for some people - games are probably liked - despite going against established rules.

I think for me I'd say serious sam and few selective games are like that. I don't watch reviews or listen to them. Just purchase the game and build myself from there.

That would be very expensive! I mean, imagine wasting so much money - before making a judgement. Anyhow, that wouldn't be a problem for richer gamers, though - but, well, you get what I'm driving at.

Last edited:
What method does the critic use? I mean, I can respect science - as in they are scientifically critiquing games. However, though, as noted again, for some people - games are probably liked - despite going against established rules.
Basically most of the youtube creators read IGN based reviews or other popular reviews then just rehash the same. Many genuine reviewers however point out what was not worth liking etc. That's the missing piece.

When it comes to reviews I never really pay much attention if I am honest, so many people are going to have different impressions on a game and someone's review could be bad because they didn't like the game but you could really enjoy the game. I always play the game myself and review it based on how I enjoyed the game.

EA seems to be buying reviews and brainwashing magazines online with their tip offs. I think that's one reason I often ignore IGN and many other known gaming publications for this reason.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back