Question How many of you use a "free" VPN?

Bunker Hosting

Newcomer
Trophies
After browsing several different threads and forums, I see a lot of people talking about the "free" VPN's they use to access geolocked content.

How many people are actually using these free VPNs, and if you are using them; Do you know the actual price you are paying for this "free" service?

Free VPNs are probably not a great thing to be using especially for important things. I don't really use a VPN at all although I use Opera on my phone as a secondary browser sometimes which has an inbuilt VPN

Free VPNs work for unlocking geoblocked content, but that's about all they should be touched for. Even then, to call it a VPN is slightly misleading, since it is and acts more like a proxy. For real security, proper VPNs are what you need.

Free VPNs are probably not a great thing to be using especially for important things. I don't really use a VPN at all although I use Opera on my phone as a secondary browser sometimes which has an inbuilt VPN
Remember, it is very unlikely that something is actually free. The only way they can offer you this service for free is by scraping your data to sell to advertisters.

Free VPNs work for unlocking geoblocked content, but that's about all they should be touched for. Even then, to call it a VPN is slightly misleading, since it is and acts more like a proxy. For real security, proper VPNs are what you need.
PGen98 says it best, It is VERY misleading to consider a "free" VPN, a VPN at all..

Imagine using a free VPN for accessing say, Europian netflix; chances are you are unable to even stream due to bandwidth restrictions on "free" VPNs, but also it is scraping all other data that is getting sent over your network..

Free is a no-no, don't trust free unless it's been approved. Paid, well depends on how much and whatnot there is. I have used free in the pass for basic things then ended it LOL But I would stick with paid. Then again no VPN in my case

You didn't add, I don't use VPN on the poll :p

if you need a VPN dont use a free one they will sell your data, they have to make money somehow after all.

if you need a VPN I would recommend mullvad.

I use Hola when I'm on Firefox, but I'll use the built-in VPN if I'm on Opera. Videos still buffer super slowly, though. I use a mobile network to get online, so they block adult content. I don't have a passport or anything they request, to upload on the site.

Talking about VPN, what VPN does any of you guys used, regards paid?

I use a paid service on my phone when on public wifi, I also have my own VPN for connecting to my home network while out.

One that I can't remember is been said on linustechtips videos LOL

I would look into getting your own WireGuard VPN service running! It is bleeding edge compared to most prehistoric VPN sevices, WireGuard wouldn't be getting merged into the Linux Kernel if it wasn't awesome.

I use Hola when I'm on Firefox, but I'll use the built-in VPN if I'm on Opera. Videos still buffer super slowly, though. I use a mobile network to get online, so they block adult content. I don't have a passport or anything they request, to upload on the site.

Videos are slow when using the built-in VPN via Opera due to them limiting bandwidth and scraping your data for info, I would avoid this at all costs.

Yeah, don't touch a free VPN and these days every youtube video as an ad for some kind of VPN that everyone is getting one.

I use the onion router if I need to circumvent region lock or access something my ISP won't let me normally touch.

WHAT!? Nothing illegal!

I use the onion router if I need to circumvent region lock or access something my ISP won't let me normally touch.

WHAT!? Nothing illegal!

Are you referencing TOR? If so, TOR isn't valid for something like streaming Netflix from another country. Great peice of tech but you give up some usability while gaining your security back. This is the problem with a centralized internet in general.

Yes TOR. You cannot select which country to route through I believe. Which, you’re right, limits its use somewhat.

Yes TOR. You cannot select which country to route through I believe. Which, you’re right, limits its use somewhat.

You can select which country you would like your END IP to show from. TOR is a great product :)

Just the process that it goes through by routing your information throughout different locations, this makes latency (ping) high due to the routing and encryption used.

I really don't understand why people se free VPN subscription, if they want to protect themselves, their privacy, why then use a free one? It's kind of useless and won't protect at all. I am using a paid version of thttps://veepn.com/vpn-apps/vpn-for-windows/ already some time, and I have to say that I am really happy about it. I need it for work and I am already pretty used to VPNs that I started using it daily. Very satisfied about it.

Last edited:
I installed Opera on my phone again, because I had issues with Melon VPN. The black screens and constant crashing was too much...

I installed Opera on my phone again, because I had issues with Melon VPN. The black screens and constant crashing was too much...

Either way, you are using a free VPN and are giving up your privacy. If you want a real, reliable VPN; Pay the 10$ a month or whatever it is, from something like express vpn, or nord vpn.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back