How Final Fantasy VII remake is breathing new life into classic games

Ana

Trophies
I have never played a Final Fantasy game without my brother. It’s one of the family traditions I hold most sacred. Though the role-playing series is for one player, since childhood we have played as one mind, discussing every event on screen, strategising during battles, enraptured by convoluted tales of sacred crystals, effeminate villains and gravity-defying hairstyles.

Our longstanding tradition is threatened by lockdown protocol: there is a new Final Fantasyout and we’re stuck on opposite sides of London. With some googling, we find a solution: I livestream my gameplay from home and he watches online. Meanwhile we talk via the phone that I tuck into my breast pocket. His comments and suggestions float out from just above my heart, like a helpful fairy.
Final Fantasy VII Remake is a major event, reimagining one of the most celebrated games in history. The story follows the mercenary, Cloud Strife, androgynously beautiful with lightning-struck blond hair and an impractically large sword, as he joins a band of eco-terrorists combating the nefarious Shinra Corporation. Many identify the 1997 original as the time when video games grew up: it boasted cinematic video sequences and an expansive, mature story including the death of a main character — a moment when countless players first realised a computer game could make them cry.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back