How can the community help?

Some games (Probably not in any intended way) have been labeled addictive such as Cytus II, Crossy road, Duet among others. Addiction to any game obviously renders the individual nonproductive and may negatively or even severely affect their own personal lives, family, and others. Can this community share some worthwhile ideas on how to balance between gaming, value addition and productivity especially for our children?

Alania

Well, you see, I was a full time gamer once, but I got my priorities straight. I place my family and job first, and therefore automatically I rarely play games now. It all depends on the individual.

Nova

Only way to help the addictive gamer is making him pay for his own things. This way he is forced to get real with his work and school and jobs. That is what worked out for many gamers to cut out on the addiction. I know it may not be easy for many gamers but something like this can be done and should be done.

Bravosi

Only way to help the addictive gamer is making him pay for his own things. This way he is forced to get real with his work and school and jobs. That is what worked out for many gamers to cut out on the addiction. I know it may not be easy for many gamers but something like this can be done and should be done.
Precisely true! Once a person has to manage his life completely then he must adjust to it properly as well.

Nova

Yes. That's how I managed to come out of the addiction. I realized that I have to understand how to get the most out of the life by learning things on my own. Gaming or any form of addiction is only stopped when that person stops getting any form of help.

I think one of the best tips in relation to this is setting priorities. We all have ours, and the most important ones must always be highlighted. So, we must remember that there is a real world out there and it is in that world that we are ourselves (even though we - sometimes - try to hide ourselves through video game characters).

charmania

It is all about self-discipline. The determination to resist the temptation of games must be greater above all. You must always think about your priorities and never sacrifice anything important in gaming because once you get succumb to it it would be much harder to resist it. Gaming is good but too much of it can destroy the real world around you.

EZpunk12

This is applicable to anyone out there who is addicted to games. I think once a big life changing event happened in your life, you'll figure out the answer. In my case, having my first kid, it instantly kick the shit out of me and taught me the real meaning of responsibility. Now I rarely play any game in my laptop or in my mobile phone either. You see there's no such thing as addiction, its in our mind. You're more powerful than any you might ever think.

phanuruch

Discipline and moderation are two techniques of guarding against addiction-not for the addicted. When you are disciplined and do things with some moderation, you know when to pause, stop and say " this is getting too far". Moderation says " you have spent enough time gaming, its time to get off and do something else before you get attached ", while discipline says " get off that gaming device now".

Bergstein

Since you emphasized helping our children, I would simply suggest that parents be involved with their kids, and set appropriate rules and guidelines for playing games. A set amount of time per day, and if you find your child sneaking gaming in when they should be doing something else, like sleeping - turn off their access to the internet at night. It's easy to do.

theresajane

Well, if you are already a grown-up adult, advices may not work as you already have your own mind. But, if it's for the kids, then, I guess, the best way would be to get the gadgets or text gaming consoles after their time limit in gaming. You always have to make sure that moderation is being observed.

Nova

I have seen some of the offline groups where they help with addiction. I have managed to get some of the groups for the gaming and internet addiction. Those groups can be a good start for spending time with each other and learn from the experience. And expect ways to get out of it. And have some real life priority.