Hill: Maxine Waters dedicates legislation to sister dying of coronavirus

Ana

Trophies
watersmaxine_031120gn_lead.jpg

Rep. Maxine Waters(D-Calif.) dedicated Congress’s $484 billion relief package to her sister, who she said is dying from the coronavirus.

“I not only rise in support of this legislation,” Waters said on the House floor. “I also would like to rise in support of what we’re doing for the health care enhancement act in this bill. And I’m going to take a moment to dedicate this legislation to my dear sister who is dying in a hospital in St. Louis, Mo., right now infected by the coronavirus.”
Waters touted the relief package that has already passed the Senate and is currently being debated in the House. The legislation provides $370 billion in funding for small businesses as well as $100 billion for hospitals and coronavirus testing.

Her remarks were the first she's made that confirmed her sister was seriously ill with the coronavirus, which has infected over 845,000 people in the U.S. and killed nearly 47,000.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) confirmed Thursday that her eldest brother was killed by the virus.

Waters, the chair of the House Financial Services Committee, said the next relief package "must provide more funding for people hurting by the exploding economic fallout of the pandemic.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back