Question Help me find a gaming PC

hugh jass

Trophies
Hi. I’m looking to get a gaming pc (up to a grand) for my 14 year old son who plays Fortnite, GTA and Minecraft. I could really do with advice on this budget. Thanks.

Could be near impossible due to lack of graphic cards right, but I would aim for a $1000 budget.

I saw that you said up to $1,000 on a gaming PC. Does the PC need to be a desktop or can it be a laptop? Gaming laptops with decent specs that will run all those games are not that hard to find for under $1,000 and you could always add a monitor with the money you save buying a laptop if you choose that route that way your child can at least have a decent sized screen to look at.

Honestly, what I did when I was building mine is use this website - https://pcpartpicker.com/ - and it really helps when choosing all the pieces. If you're like me and want to actually build it all yourself, this really helps make sure all your parts are compatible with one another. If you're not feeling too technical and just want a build, there are numerous 'example builds' on there from all sorts of people - from building super budget options to 10k+ rigs. Basically select a rig you like the look of and nick the parts list. If your son is looking at GTA I'd recommend a decent graphics card though, probably at least a 2gb (bare minimum) with even more if it's the likes of GTA 5. I run an i7 core/16GB RAM with an 8GB card and GTA V runs smooth as hell.

You might consider finding a used GPU on eBay right now. The cost of GPUs has gone through the roof in the past year or so; any decent GPU will cost over a thousand dollars new at the moment. You may be able to find a deal on a used GPU that is still fairly decent for running those games on eBay. There are many guides on YouTube to searching for and purchasing used GPUs from eBay. Here is a good one:

You might consider finding a used GPU on eBay right now. The cost of GPUs has gone through the roof in the past year or so; any decent GPU will cost over a thousand dollars new at the moment. You may be able to find a deal on a used GPU that is still fairly decent for running those games on eBay. There are many guides on YouTube to searching for and purchasing used GPUs from eBay. Here is a good one:

I can't count how many super-stacked bitcoin mining rigs I've seen rocking about 6 x 3080's or something haha. Think the BTC hype has contributed to the run on GFX cards, as well as everyone staying at home and gaming a lot more, probably building rigs and stuff. I'd certainly consider a used one though, some of my components are used and I wouldn't think otherwise the way they run. Always trawl your local FB marketplace. :)

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back