Have you ever cried playing a game?

I know the question may sound a bit unusual, but this has already happened to a friend of mine recently. He was playing Resident Evil 2 (the latest version) and he simple started crying a lot when he finally finished the game.

He couldn't explain the reason so deeply, he just said it was the thrill of getting it after so many hours playing.

YES. The story of NierAutomata is very emotional for me, losing in it is also worth crying, its like that my effort that flew away. I also cosplayed 2b because I like her and the game very much.

egghead

I have never cried playing games, I have never been to that kind of emotional level. However, I have often yelled in frustrations when I could not pass the level.

theresajane

I have been upset many times because of a game, but never did I ever cried because of it. Games are there for me to kill my bordom and not to make me depressed. Well, there could be times that I get upset, but it easily dissipates.

Jelineex

I have not come to a point of crying because of a game. I am busy concentrating on how to win the game. But there are games that I felt disgusted and scared. ( Ha.Ha.Ha.) I go on the imagination of being attacked by zombies and will be dead in time. I need to run for my life. This makes me energetic and blown my mind. I love how I get thrilled.

Nova

Never. I think most of the games that I have played are horror or survival in nature. Some of them are mystery too. So crying was not an option. And it can be pretty difficult to have sentiments when you don't feel like you lived that moment in the game. So it can be pretty difficult if you ask me. It is not the type of games I have played which makes anyone cry.

dzonyfox2

I have never cried playing games, I have never been to that kind of emotional level. However, I have often yelled in frustrations when I could not pass the level.
I completely agree with you, I have never cried playing games, and I don't think I ever will. But I also can get frustrated if I can't pass the game.

wallet

I have never cried for a game no matter what but I must be honest and say that sometimes I get very angry if I lose or die because of someone else fault.

Ash

I've never cried playing a game. I've never really cried watching a film either so it's just not something I imagine would ever happen to me. However, I have been quite sad with a few games, Battlefield 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2 being the biggest games that led me to be sad. I don't want to say much in case I spoil it for someone but the RDR2 ending was extremely sad and would have preferred a different ending really.

Bergstein

Not to be insensitive, but this questions made me laugh. I really came here to read the comments, but now feel pretty emotional myself. I am sorry to hear of any sadness your gaming experience has brought you. :devilish:??

Alexander.

No I haven't. I don't think I'll every cry or get emotionally connected to a video game. If I cannot pass the game or I die, I may get frustrated at the very most although I'll learn from my mistake and improve so it doesn't happen again.

Nova

I think in reality we have to hold onto the emotions. And games are not something that we should be crying over for. I can tell you that it can get pretty difficult if we are not holding onto the health. So mental and emotional health needs to be adjusted as well. I guess on that note kids need to have more emotional balance.

Anachiwo

Cry over a game which I'm still the one playing? I don't think that would be possible no matter how you look at it. I'm the one in control of the game and how would I turn to cry over the same game? It won't happen as far as I'm concerned.

PS. I have cried over a movie.

egghead

I completely agree with you, I have never cried playing games, and I don't think I ever will. But I also can get frustrated if I can't pass the game.
When you cannot pass the level and you are have already played many times in the current gaming session, the experience can be very frustrating. In such situation, I cry in anger or frustration.

Heatman

Seriously, I have far more serious things to do than to cry over a gaming animation. For what reason should I subject myself into crying as a result of playing video games? It sounds very wired to my ears. I wonder if such thing happens.

Anachiwo

Seriously, I have far more serious things to do than to cry over a gaming animation. For what reason should I subject myself into crying as a result of playing video games? It sounds very wired to my ears. I wonder if such thing happens.

I support your assertion on this discussion completely. I find it very difficult to believe anyone would cry over a game, something you used your hands to play and you turn to cry over it, it's unbelievable by all means.

Nova

I am not sure what makes people cry on their gaming. You can see that it can be pretty intense gaming moments that makes them a bit pretty much confused on many counts. And things can go wrong on that note. I'd recommend you to avoid watching sentimental stuff. And move on ahead with the life.

Soneji

The only game I can say for sure that I cried while playing is To The Moon during the "Everything's Alright" cutscene. Ico's ending, The Last Guardian's ending, Brother's A Tale of Two Son's ending and Okami's prayer scene during the final boss I might have shed a tear for while playing. I'm more likely to cry while reminiscing about sections of a game though, as while I'm still playing I have a level of disconnect, with my mind set to getting through the next gameplay segment.

Hasusan

Never, The most i got was a lump in my throat (RDR 2 Arthur)

Although i usually feel blue for 1 or 2 days after finishing a really great game and cant play anything.

Paladin

Paradox of Nothingness
The end of Red Dead Redemption 2 was the only real game that I can think of that made me break down in tears.
I'm the kind of person who's very emotional, so...

I don't think there has been a recent game I've played that has made me cry. There was one that I played a couple of years back that made me cry. It was called To the Moon and it was such a good game and got you right in the feels. It's on Steam if anyone wants to check it out.

Nova

I would say a little bit was Bioshock. The good ending.
Bioshock world was definitely better and in first part the under water world made me quite nostalgic. Not cried but felt like lost something. I mean it was kind of a good journey in both games. I wonder where it took some people with that feeling. I kind of feel lost all the time with it.

I've gotten frustrated before playing a game but I don't recall ever crying during a game and I've been gaming since I was about 5 years old.

Griffin

I honestly cannot think of any piece of fictional media that has made me cry. but I dont think its an odd question I know quite a few friends who get very emotional and attached when playing video games ( and i assume cry I have never asked them about it to know for sure)

The first time was playing Final Fantasy 4 (or 2 as it was called back then). I've posted about this before elsewhere on this here interwebs thingy, but
when Palom and Porom sacrificed themselves to save the rest of the party
, I got misty eyed. Even as a child in the 90's, I knew at that moment that video games were art.

NeoTechni

Yes

1. Rhapsody (PS1)
  2. Lunar 1 and 2 (PS1)
  3. MGS 3 (PS2), 4 (PS3), 5 (PS4)
  4. Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core (PSP)
  5. Days Gone (PS4) repeatedly
  6. The Last of Us (PS3/PS4)

FaceHugger

Journey, PS3, but not exactly while playing it. At the end of the journey, no pun intended, the credits would tell you what other players you played with - your companions. It was my first play through. I met another person very early on and we played together the entire time, sticking close, chirping sounds of encouragement, trying our best to gesture which way to go, creeping beneath the cruising behemoths, keeping each other warm during the climb up the iced mountains.

Well we finish, the credits roll, I take note of their name (even wrote it down) and went about the rest of my day - really cheered up by the game. I didn't turn on my PS3 for a few days. When I come back to it, ready for another session of Journey, I see I have a new friend invite - and it's that player! Cool, I accept.

She messages me sometime later, tells me her name, and explains that she's been depressed for a while due to an accident that left her unable to leave home for a while, and this was the first video game she had played since Pokemon as a kid, on her brand new PS3 - brought to her that day by a sibling. And that I made the experience really special for her. I teared up.

We're still PSN pals, have played a few games together here and there over the years, but she hardly ever logs on anymore. She got better, got back on with her life as it existed before her accident I suppose.

Trashpanda

The original Klonoa which, between the second-act gut-punch and the bitersweet ending, definitely made 8 year old me cry! After that, Shadow of the Colossus is the obvious one. Also shead tears at The Last Guardian, but I get the feeling a lot of that was based on expectation (due to SotC) rather than the game itself causing it.

22_22

I think is a very interesting question actually and not at all unusual. We seem to focus on the anger that games can provide us with but I believe crying is also closely related with this more common emotion.

For me, I have cried on special occasions, usually in the final of FIFA tournament as I have had to fight my way through many difficult games to get that far. Usually it is anger when I lose to a poor player and tears when I feel hard done by or exhausted.

Lord Saru

Oh yes. Tons of times! Though not in the recent past.

The last time I cried playing a game was after I won the grand pokemon tournament in Pokemon Emerald. Its not part of the main game objectives and is part of the collateral objectives in post game play.

This was in around 2006.

Top Bottom