Question Graphics card decisions

MicroNort

Trophies
Not going to spend too much time on the history of my desktop, but I've ended up with a Xeon CPU and until very recently, was limited to a GPU that could only be powered by the motherboard (meaning I have a GTX 1650). Moving on, I'm now in a position to upgrade my GPU to one that can have additional power so I'm trying to decide what to buy based on budget and what would be overkill for my CPU. One thing I do seem to be limited by though is card size so I'm kind of limited to those with a single fan.

Originally my plan was to get a 1660 Super. I seem to have two options for a single fan card and will be paying £220-£230.

But then I thought what about a 1660 Ti? I can get one of these for £250-£260. I'd sort of decided that it is probably worth paying a bit more for performance. Having almost settled on this, I then found out I can get a small RTX 2060 for £300.

I'll probably end up going for the RTX 2060, but would be interested in opinions. I am using a QHD monitor so would like a decent framerate for games at that resolution.

You don't want to bottleneck. You have to get GPU that works well with your other hardware.

So what are your other system specs? and also the 3000 series is coming out very soon that should be even far cheaper than the 2000 series.

You don't want to bottleneck. You have to get GPU that works well with your other hardware.

So what are your other system specs? and also the 3000 series is coming out very soon that should be even far cheaper than the 2000 series.
I'm thinking about waiting a bit. CPU is Xeon E3-1231 (4 physical cores, 4 virtual) with 20GB RAM.

I'm thinking about waiting a bit. CPU is Xeon E3-1231 (4 physical cores, 4 virtual) with 20GB RAM.
Yeah, You need a newer CPU. Your CPU won't able to run the 2000 series, Damn if lucky to run 1080.

It's going to bottleneck out. Soo looks at new CPU, and my guess is that your memory is DDR3

Yeah, You need a newer CPU. Your CPU won't able to run the 2000 series, Damn if lucky to run 1080.

It's going to bottleneck out. Soo looks at new CPU, and my guess is that your memory is DDR3
New CPU is out of the question as I'd need a new board so a totally new PC. Why do you think my CPU wouldn't be able to run it? It is only at 30% when my 1650 is at 90+%

My i7 3930K that has more threads and cores and even has a higher boost clock can't even run any RTX series and not to mention It's pushing to get 1080TI even...

And so you expecting Xeon E3-123 to able to run RTX 2080TI ?? then good luck. If you need a new card then look at 1660 super or even a 1050 to a 1060

My i7 3930K that has more threads and cores and even has a higher boost clock can't even run any RTX series and not to mention It's pushing to get 1080TI even...

And so you expecting Xeon E3-123 to able to run RTX 2080TI ?? then good luck. If you need a new card then look at 1660 super or even a 1050 to a 1060
I was only looking at RTX 2060 maximum which is less powerful than a 1080 so it shouldn't necessarily be a problem. I currently have a 1650. Your CPU has more threads but the single thread rating is lower than the Xeon's so my CPU may outperform your CPU when not all threads can be used?

What GPU are you currently using?

I was only looking at RTX 2060 maximum which is less powerful than a 1080 so it shouldn't necessarily be a problem. I currently have a 1650. Your CPU has more threads but the single thread rating is lower than the Xeon's so my CPU may outperform your CPU when not all threads can be used?

What GPU are you currently using?
It can be less powered but also it's an RTX card. Then again you might not even use that option. Was going to go with GTX 1070 back then but I didn't since the 1000 series was ended and so I'm running the Asus 1660TI OC edition.

You are better off with the RTX 2060 and may even make upgrade if possible for the board if needed. I don't see the much reason for sticking with low graphics cards just because you are locked in with the board.

You are better off with the RTX 2060 and may even make upgrade if possible for the board if needed. I don't see the much reason for sticking with low graphics cards just because you are locked in with the board.
The board only limits the RAM to DDR3 and prevents me from changing the CPU. I think my CPU will be fine with an RTX 2060, but I'm going to wait to see if new cards push the price of it or the 1660ti down.

We always need a powerful graphics card no matter how strong our processor is. You have taken a good decision to discuss with others which Graphics Card is best. I was searching and I found an article that has some good GPUs I suggest you to have a look on this.

I got an RTX 2060 in the end. Most games I can now run at 60fps+ in high or ultra settings at 1440p. The only game I see frame rate drops on is Watch Dogs 2, but this I suspect is because the game is tougher on CPU rather than GPU.

I plan on saving up for my build and getting the new NVIDIA cards. They are so expensive though.

I plan on saving up for my build and getting the new NVIDIA cards. They are so expensive though.
Expensive and difficult to get hold of. I've seen some UK PC builders specing systems with a 3060ti but it doesn't seem like anyone is selling it separately. I checked the price on my 2060 and that is now about £50-£100 more than I paid for it (assuming anyone has any stock).

Expensive and difficult to get hold of. I've seen some UK PC builders specing systems with a 3060ti but it doesn't seem like anyone is selling it separately. I checked the price on my 2060 and that is now about £50-£100 more than I paid for it (assuming anyone has any stock).
I’m hoping by the time I save up they will be easier to purchase.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back