The Maryland Emergency Management Agency warned that “under no circumstance” should disinfectants be ingested.
Gov. Larry Hogan says they received “hundreds of calls” seeking guidance following Trump’s comments and it’s important to communicate “facts.”
Gov. Larry Hogan Sunday morning said Maryland's emergency health hotline that was set up to field questions about the coronavirus pandemic had received "hundreds" of inquiries about the safety of ingesting cleaning products to kill the virus.
The governor, who appeared on CBS’ “Face The Nation” and ABC’s “This Week” Sunday morning, was responding to questions that arose from President Donald Trump’s comments about the effectiveness of disinfectants to kill the virus if ingested either orally or by injection.
“I think when misinformation comes out or you just say something that pops into your head it does send a wrong message,” Hogan said on “This Week.” “We had hundreds of calls come in to our emergency hotline at our health department asking if it what was right to ingest Clorox or alcohol cleaning products, whether that was going to help them fight the virus. So we had to put out that warning to make sure that people were not doing something like that which would kill people.”
The volume of phone calls to the emergency line prompted the Maryland Emergency Management Agency to post a tweet over the weekend that stated in no uncertain terms, “this is a reminder that under no circumstances should any disinfectant product be administered into the body through injection, ingestion or any other route.”
“The president has to focus on the message, stick to a message and make sure these press conferences are fact based,” Hogan said.