News Game publishers are looking to raise prices for PS5 and Xbox Series X games

Clout

Trophies
"The last time that next-gen launch software pricing went up was in 2005 and 2006, when it went from $49.99 to $59.99 at the start of the Xbox 360 and PS3 generation," he says.
Osaki says that next-gen console game production costs have increased by 200% to 300%, depending on the IP, studio and genre, but the prices have remained at $59.99. Meanwhile, cinema ticket prices have risen 39%, Netflix subscription costs have gone up 100%, and Cable TV packages have risen by 105%.
He continues: "IDG works with all major game publishers, and our channel checks indicate that other publishers are also exploring moving their next-gen pricing up on certain franchises, for the same reasons outlined above.

Too rich for my blood it will be $95 cad for me based on the exchange rate. I already can't justify the price of a 79.99 game.

I guess I just have to hope PC gaming doesn't follow the same trend or I am never buying a video game even close to release date ever again

Edit: Also i find it funny to use Cable TV as their example since so many people are dropping cable due to price and cheaper alternatives, I Suspect many will do that same with Video games (more indie purchases or Piracy)

Edit2 : I just check on steam I have only ever bought 2 games at full price and I own over 2000 games on steam

Last edited:
Meh, that be bad really but I understand them wanting to pull in more money, but I'm guessing DLC prices go up as well?

This happens almost every gen and then within a short space of time the prices drop down.

Expecting to drop in a year or so. Seen this happened once before on games. However, the bigger titles don't drop that much. Just end of the day hopfully that you get your money worth.

It’s a justifiable price increase. You don’t have to buy games at point of release. Wait for them to go on sale.

From 2020 onwards the thing is that only the rich and upper middle class could afford some of the consoles and the games. The reason being some people just want to cash in the work from home and the stay home time period. And they are going to raise the prices in the time ahead.

Meh, that be bad really but I understand them wanting to pull in more money, but I'm guessing DLC prices go up as well?
Quite possibly, although the prices of games are expensive as it is. I think someone did mention that maybe the price will drop later in time.

It’s a justifiable price increase. You don’t have to buy games at point of release. Wait for them to go on sale.

justifiable maybe if your games isn't also riddled with mirotransactions.

if enough people stop buying games at launch they would have to lower the price back

Wouldn't that be unfair for people who only have an Xbox One? Maybe they will introduce a tier system.
I'm not sure why it would be unfair. Don't get me wrong, if Gamepass stays the same, it'd probably gain on value and popularity since it could give you potentially more games for much less.
But different tier lists are likely too, yes.

If there's enough meat on the bone, strictly speaking, then a combined upfront price for all of the content is okay. Making people pay for a shoddy little post-release add-on is a shoddy practice, though. Plus, games are gonna start getting harder to produce too.

If there's enough meat on the bone, strictly speaking, then a combined upfront price for all of the content is okay. Making people pay for a shoddy little post-release add-on is a shoddy practice, though. Plus, games are gonna start getting harder to produce too.
Surely the difficulty in producing them will depend on how good the engines and tools are. If you were writing something from scratch I could understand the ramp up in price, but that isn't the case nowadays. Assets will be shared across the PS5, Xbox and PC. I expect the game will be written (obviously using PCs) and then tweaked for the other platforms. The cost of making the game is only a problem if it is not popular and perhaps if single format. If multi-format you have a massive potential user base and not really any justification for increasing the price. If you compare with films at the cinema and on media, the cost of making the film does not factor in the price you pay to watch it, the cost to watch a mega expensive blockbuster and low budget indie film is the same, game pricing also should remain unchanged, it is the publishers problem if they need to spend more on creating the games.

I would understand this for certain games especially massive titles like GTA, Red Dead Redemption or Horizon Zero Dawn. But if a sports game like FIFA increases their price, I will not touch them

As far as im concerned, production cost is a null point. While continuing to raise the price of games over the years, at best 0 extra value has been added to the final product. At worst we have lost a large portion of final value

As far as im concerned, production cost is a null point. While continuing to raise the price of games over the years, at best 0 extra value has been added to the final product. At worst we have lost a large portion of final value
That's pretty much how the EA games work. Their FIFA and Cricket are much the same all over the years, apart from audio, they must have changed nothing so far in the games.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back