Gabe Newell: "Competition in game stores is awesome for everybody but ugly in the short term."

Nat

Trophies
"Competition in game stores is awesome for everybody. It keeps us honest, it keeps everybody else honest," Newell says, "But it's ugly in the short term. You're like, 'Argh, they're yelling, they're making us look bad' - but in the long term, everybody benefits from the discipline and the thoughtfulness it means you have to have about your business by having people come in and challenge you."
"We get a lot more freaked out not by competition, but by people trying to preclude competition," Newell continues, "If you ask us which is scarier, it's people falling in love with Apple's model of controlling everything and having faceless bureaucrats who get to keep your product from entering the market if they don't want it to, or designing a store in a way that minimises software's value-add to experience and stuff like that."

Of course competition is important! It keeps companies from stagnating and forces inprovement!

What I didn't like is that the offline stores like gamespot are open despite the warning that such places need to close down to avoid the infection from spreading.

I hate that they disregard the safety of their employees.. And also that they think they can ignore government orders.

I'd say Steam and Epic game store is a very good example of this. But then you have a greedy company like gamestop.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back