Question For those whose incomes have increased greatly, how is your life now compared to how you thought it would be?

FaceHugger

Trophies
When I was in my early 20's leaving college and throwing myself into the turbulent job market, I envied the people earning a lot more money than me. "Man, what I would do with that kind of money" I thought.

Then nine or ten years later I achieve that dream and realize, damn, life is pretty much the same. I just put more into savings now. I am not jet setting around the world. I don't even want a BMW now. I'm not living a life of lavish vacations because I still have a day job and commitments. I can just buy a larger TV without worrying about it, or paid off my student loans.

So the dream, for me, was pretty hollow once I attained it. Anyone else had better luck?

I think your challenges move with your income. Now I have money I don't seem to have the time to enjoy it. I can easily splash out on things like you've suggested, but I rarely do as always want to protect my savings.

Having said that I did waste about £10k 5 years ago on bad car purchases and that always haunts me, even though I've now recovered the money I wasted.

I make considerably more money than I did when I was 16, and I can easily say I enjoy a very comfortable life. Many of my habits from when I was poor have carried over though. For example, I reuse food containers like pickle jars to store leftovers and even transport lunch to work using them. Sometimes I get weird looks for that. I also hate food waste and never buy more than what will be consumed. I won’t even peel potatoes or carrots, that’s extra food.

I can buy a lot of things, I just elect not to. This wasn’t always the case, as I was very irresponsible with money and racked up credit card debt through misuse and a lack of education in my early 20s. Taught me some hard lessons as I slowly dug my way out of that life trap.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back