News Final Fantasy 16 delayed “by almost half a year” due to Covid-19

JonathanVan

Trophies
Square Enix plans to show more from Final Fantasy 16 in spring 2022.

The Covid-19 pandemic has delayed Final Fantasy 16​

Final Fantasy 16 delayed by almost half a year due to Covid-19
Final Fantasy 16 delayed “by almost half a year” due to Covid-19
Final Fantasy 16 producer Naoki Yoshida prepared franchise fans to wait a little longer for the game in an update to development released on Monday.

Yoshida, who also co-produced Final Fantasy 14 Online and the recently released Endwalker expansion of the MMO, said the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic had severely affected Final Fantasy 16’s development and delayed it “almost half a year”.

Square Enix didn’t provide windows to play PC games for PlayStation 5 and Windows​

Square Enix first announced Final Fantasy 16 in September 2020 but did not offer a window to play the PC game for PlayStation 5 and Windows.

Yoshida and the Final Fantasy 16 team have promised to bring an update to the long-awaited game by the end of this year. This disclosure has been temporarily postponed.

Final Fantasy 16 producer Naoki Yoshida has apologized to fans​

Final Fantasy 16 delayed by almost half a year due to Covid-19
Final Fantasy 16 producer Naoki Yoshida had a statement of the delay
“I promised I would have more information on Final Fantasy XVI sometime later in 2021,” Yoshida said so in a statement posted on the Final Fantasy 16 Twitter account on Monday.

“However, I regret to inform you that I will be unable to keep that promise as complications stemming from the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic have delayed the game’s development by almost a half year.”

Yoshida said that Final Fantasy 16 “has amassed a sizable team composed of talented creators from around the world”, and that the team is working from home to combat the spread of Covid-19.

“This has unfortunately hampered communication from the Tokyo office, which, in turn, has to led to delays in – or in extreme cases, cancellations of – asset deliveries from our outsource partners,” Yoshida mentioned. “That said, we have spent much of 2021 addressing this issue and hope to see its impact to a minimum by the new year, allowing us to better focus on the tasks at hand: increasing graphic resource quality, refining combat mechanics, fleshing out individual battles, putting the finishing touches on cutscenes, and conducting overall graphical optimization. Our primary goal is now to be as hands on with the game as possible in order to see it fully polished.”

Final Fantasy fans probably shouldn’t expect a full game in 2022 at this rate​

According to Yoshida, the Final Fantasy 16 team plans to hold their next big reveal in the spring of 2022 as they try to keep the tension for the game’s release.

Yoshida hasn’t provided any additional clarity on when the game will be released. However, fans might not expect the full game to be seen at this rate in 2022.

Understandable and I don't think they need to say sorry for it, I can't wait to see it.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back