Epic Games’ Tim Sweeney wants to ban politics from games

xkdpdQ3rU47CqXTjHiFggY-970-80.jpg

Tim Sweeney, CEO of Epic Games delivered a keynote debate at DICE 2020 to create a “separation between church and state” that bans politics from video games.

Sweeney via IGN
The world is really screwed up right now Right now our political orientations determine which fast-food chicken restaurant you go to? And that’s really dumb. There’s no reason to drag divisive topics like that into gaming at all.
Sweeney was referring to Chik-Fil-A, an organisation that donates to charities with anti-LGBTQ stances. Their history goes back to 2010 when they donated more than $1.9 million to anti-gay groups, in which a portion was donated to Exodus International, an anti-gay conversion therapies group.

Sweeney continues
Video game developers should be operating as neutral venues for entertainment and employees, customers so everybody… can hold their own views and not be judged by us for that.
Furthermore, he praised the way in which Harper Lee’s 1960 novel To Kill a Mockingbird handled politics and served as a means to discuss issues.

If you think back to To Kill a Mockingbird and the impact that had on people’s views in the time, I think that’s a genuine outlet for games. It really makes people think about things.
He later clarified his stance via Twitter.

Here’s one of the key views I shared at DICE. If a game tackles politics, as To Kill a Mockingbird did as a novel, it should come from the heart of creatives and not from marketing departments seeking to capitalize on division.
What do you think of Sweeney’s comments?

Totally agree. LGBT and Feminism has been ruining the society already. They are adding that in games just like how Netflix does. I am tired of such games I wish to get into the back 90s type normal games.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back