DualShock 4 Back Button Attachment Reviews

Nat

Trophies
Whether the Back Button Attachment is a sign of a PS5 future to come, or just a neat, additional offering from Sony, I’m very glad to have it. Its arrival may be as odd as first trying to plug in the attachment, but after a few days playing with it, it already feels like an integral part of my PlayStation playtime. And if it’s here to stay, I’d welcome a world where it’s built into the controller.

This attachment won’t sink all of the companies selling high-end pro controllers — those products still offer way more flexibility and customization options than simply adding two rear paddles. But for folks looking to dive into the world of back-panel buttons without having to spend more than $100 on an entirely new controller, the DualShock 4 Back Button Attachment does its job admirably well, and at a fraction of the cost.

The DualShock 4 Back Button Attachment is an easy way to add more functionality to your PlayStation controller. The idea is to free up your other fingers by programming common actions to fingers that are normally doing nothing. This is useful for shooters where you may want to keep your thumbs on the analog sticks at all times. Now, you can jump or melee without having to move to the face buttons.

This add-on makes all of that possible, and it does so in a way that I find both comfortable and simple. And that’s huge. This isn’t going to make your DualShock 4 feel anywhere near as good as an Xbox Elite Series 2, but it is going to give you similar capabilities.

If you're looking at this thing and struggling to think of any games where back button commands might be helpful, then sure, this probably isn't a product for you. But Sony's first attempt to offer fans a cost-effective option for adding back buttons to the DualShock 4 is a big success, and a no-brainer purchase if you've ever shopped for that feature and balked at the third-party prices.

I can't see myself liking it, though I would have to try it out first. I do hope it's not a required attachment for the DS5.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back