Dolus - 2D indie platformer about Grief - In Development

Ratgibnak

Newcomer
Trophies
Hey everyone,

My name is Antoine from France, I am a dev and I am currently working on my first indie 2D game made with Unity !

Ld-e91KYrH3eu59lk-no9Pt08ZV6V7JMlyhqih9byFRrj009fBC8T4MHKw6THX5pcnUVXwg8rM-vn4he4aps6_U9oU0Vn3GzNc2xtRay8dxYVQJBpAjqf9s5JH_SIZe8BScsS333=s1600

Dolus is an introspective journey into the world of grief. You will have to find your way through the five stages of loss in this hand drawn adventure platformer.

giphy.gif

At the moment we are working on the first level, the Denial level. It will be a tutorial level where you will explore a castle in ruin full of strange creatures.

giphy.gif

I will come update you on this topic as soon as I have more content to share.

giphy.gif

Ratgibnak

Hi all !

First Parallax test ! We will add more layers later on and tweak the speed a bit :)

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Can you guess who made the placeholders ? Is it Thomas the artist or Antoine the MSPaint master ? ^^

---

Follow us in our game development journey !

Ratgibnak

Camera following the player !
The goal is to be able to see above/below when you are on high grounds so you can anticipate traps and monsters.
And to keep the cam low when you are on the ground in order to not waste space with the bottom of the scene.
giphy-downsized.gif

What do you think ? Is the cam moving too fast ? How do you do it in your own games ?

Last post before the Holiday season ! We just finished a new animation !

giphy.gif

How impressive the explosion feels to you ?
We will add more particles in Unity after that, can’t wait to share these with you !

Even in death your enemies can still hurt you !
Once killed the medusa will burst into pieces. If one of the tentacles is touched, it will inflict terrible pain, forcing the player to start everything again !

giphy.gif

What do you think about the new animation ?

We finished all animations from 3/5 of the monsters from the Denial level ! We are very proud of our progress on the first stage of grief ?

Here is some gameplay with the monsters that will be in your way to healing ?

giphy.gif

We are now working on the attacks from the boss. Thomas is making some very nice spritesheets that we will soon share with you ?

New heavy attack animation from the boss of the first stage of Grief !
?

Do you think you will be able to dodge it ?
?

giphy.gif

Thomas is currently drawing all the animations from the boss. Next time we will try to show you how it looks ingame !

Here is Thomas’ drawing process for the Reaper?
All animations from Dolus are made with Procreate?️

We import the animations to Unity as spritesheets. We then add an emission map and a normal map to the sprites to give them bloom and some depth thanks to the lights ??

What software do you use to draw your characters ?

---
Dolus is a hand drawn adventure platformer about the five stages of loss and grief.
Insta - Twitter - Facebook

Ratgibnak

Even in death your enemies can still hurt you !
Once killed the medusa will burst into pieces. If one of the tentacles is touched, it will inflict terrible pain, forcing the player to start everything again !

giphy.gif

What do you think about the new animation ?
it's cool

Thanks DerryDarda !

The Denial Knight will make your world crumble away ! Nothing will be left but the Truth.

What do you think about the animation finally added in the game ? With all the lights and the particles it is coming to life !
giphy.gif

This is only one of the three attacks the Denial Knight will throw at the player. As you go on, the fight will become more and more difficult.

---
Dolus is a hand drawn adventure platformer about the five stages of loss and grief.

Ratgibnak

Thanks DerryDarda !

The Denial Knight will make your world crumble away ! Nothing will be left but the Truth.

What do you think about the animation finally added in the game ? With all the lights and the particles it is coming to life !
giphy.gif

This is only one of the three attacks the Denial Knight will throw at the player. As you go on, the fight will become more and more difficult.

---

Ratgibnak
I’m loving the animation, it’s very detailed and captivating. Is this the boss or one of many bosses in game?

I’m loving the animation, it’s very detailed and captivating. Is this the boss or one of many bosses in game?
Thank you, I will let Thomas (the animator) that you like his animations :)

This is the First boss of the game from the first level, the Denial ! We will have one boss per stage of Grief :)

From idea to concept art to artwork to ingame character !

Evolution.png

We started this game a long time ago and we are very proud of our progression.
You can see that the character design that we had in mind at the beginning is very close to what we currently have.

Don't you want to hug that little fellow ? ?

---

Ratgibnak

Can definitely see the procession in the character design! I would love to give the little fellow a hug! ?

From idea to concept art to artwork to ingame character !

Evolution.png

We started this game a long time ago and we are very proud of our progression.
You can see that the character design that we had in mind at the beginning is very close to what we currently have.

Don't you want to hug that little fellow ? ?

---

Ratgibnak

Aw ? I really want to give him hug! He looks super cute! Great job on the design, I’d love to give this game a go when it becomes available.

⛈️ Thunderstruck ⛈️

giphy-downsized.gif

What do you think about this thunderbolt particle effect ? It will be a futur trap for another level of grief ?

It is still a work in progress but I like the way it moves ?
---

Ratgibnak

? Water simulation ?

After working on lightning, I am now working on water that will be implemented in another level of Grief !

giphy.gif

Pretty cool, right ?
Later on I will add some effects and change the texture of the water so it looks even more realistic !

---

Ratgibnak

We are proud of showing you the second attack from the Denial Knight !

giphy.gif

Do you like the blackhole effect of the projectile ? It will go way faster and I'll add particles when it will hit the ground ✨

---

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back