Do you listen to music while playing games?

I love playing games in silent mode, except for the audio sound created by the game itself. I find music distracting when playing. The pandemonium sound of war and action during the actual play makes me feel good though.

Most games I do. But when I'm playing competitive I turn it off so I can focus on the in game sounds. If you're listening to music while playing game, especially when it's a competitive game, it will counter act as you are trying to listen to two different things at once and it will drift you out of focus.

Nope because I can't focus on the games I play. However, it really depends on you if you want or not :)

I might not enjoy listening to music while focusing on playing a video game. Sometimes, I need a full concentration to defeat an enemy or accomplish a mission. Sometimes, the other sounds on a game might give a clue if there is an enemy nearby or a warning that prevents you to die in that game. Or you need to listen to the other character's advice which guides you in accomplishing a certain task.

Well... Depending on the type of game... I would say "yes". ;)

For example, a racing game... I love listening to music with the loud sound (because the game gets more exciting). But, when the game requires a greater concentration (like a game of horror / suspense) I prefer the natural sound of the game itself.

I enjoy playing a game better whenever there is a background music. It adds a little mood on the game specially when the game starts to go intense. Helps to bring out some stored adrenaline on the body

It depends on the game to be honest. If it's an action packed game, I prefer listening to the in-game music because it pumps you up for the upcoming scenes. If it's a horror themed game, I don't like listening to the music because it freaks me out which most likely than not, results in me dying in the game. If it's any other type of game, it depends on whether the in-game music is tolerable or not. There are some games whose music is the same track on loop and that gets really annoying after a while.

It also depends on what I want to achieve in the game. If it's just a casual game that I play when I'm bored, I don't care about the music. However, if I want to win in the game and actually finish the entire storyline, I mute or listen to the music depending on the mood in the game.

I often listen to music while playing games. The music relaxes me and helps me to focus on the game itself. I practise these especially when I'm playing online multiplayer games. Music is great for stress relief.

Last edited:
I don't listen to music while gaming. I prefer listening to the game's music and sound effects.

For me, it depends on what game I'm playing.

If I'm playing like a car racing game, I like more to listen to the game's music but if it's like playing a puzzle games, I'd like to listen to music since it relaxes me and it focus me on doing a good job during the game :)

It mostly depends on the game. If I am playing something action-pumped, like Counter-Strike or the League of Legends I prefer the sounds from the game itself because that allows me to fully concentrate on the game and set my mind to it. On the other hand, when I'm playing something with low stress like World of Warcraft where is a lot of farming, grinding, running, flying, I tend to listen to my own music, and that makes the perfect combination for me in order to make the most out of the time playing ?

Not with all games, especially not with first person shooter kind of games, it needs a lot of focus, But I love it with Driving games tho, I use to Put on night program radio, or my own play list ,and just "drive for hours", Need For Speed, shift, Rally, and the list goes on, but the one where music is a must is Euro Truck simulator, I had some real "zoned out" moments with this game.

Last edited:
My primary purpose of playing games is to have a good time and music always doubles my pleasure. I like listening to classic rock and I play Pink Floyd, The Doors, and Deep Purple while playing games.

I never listen to music when I'm playing games. Listening to music during the game it most definitely will alter the whole experience. Listening to music is breaking the immersion and destroying all of the moods. Actually, The choice of soundtrack and sound effects for a game has more to do with mood. The sound effect of the game is chosen very carefully by the game designer. I prefer to listen to that. :):)

I love music, and I can literally listen to music throughout the day as long as it doesn't interfere with whatever else I'm doing. I do like music going on in the background when I'm playing games, it's like having the best of both worlds for me doing two things I really love doing at the same time and enjoying them both. Music relaxes me and put me in my element,so I'm at my best when I'm listening to music and because I love to be at my best when I'm playing, I definitely love to have music while playing.

Electronic music is very good when it comes to playing games. Like you guys said, the beats can pump you up.

Unless the music is part of the game... otherwise I never listen to any other music while playing games. Unless of course an enthusiastic sibling or roommate is playing loud music then I go along with it

It really depends on the mood and the game, because some games require you to focus on the in game sounds and it will be difficult for you to play and interact with other players if you are listening to a different sounds. But some gsmes could go with music, like playing games that you only need chat for interacting. Music can relax your mind, so if you are relaxed and focus you can be do better strategies in the game you are already playing.

I stay with in game sounds only, be it music or whatever else. I’ve been trained by open world games to respond to audio cues and I don’t want to miss anything! If it’s a no-stakes situation where that stuff doesn’t matter I can put on something else, but it’s so rare I wouldn’t call it a thing I do as a matter of course.

having a background while playing is helping me to concentrate on the game. Every time i'm playing i always had a BGM played on.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back