Do you listen to music when playing games?

Heatman

Whether it's the in game theme music or an external music playing in the room background where you are playing your game, these songs helps gamers to sync up with the game which they are playing fully.

Do you enjoy listening to music when playing games?

bphlover

I enjoy listening to music in whatever I do except of course if it's watching movies or TV. So, yes, I love it when I hear songs playing in the background whenever I'm playing a game. It relaxes me in a way.

Alania

Depends on what game it is, honestly. When I play a MOBA or an RTS I don't listen to music. But when I grind in some MMORPG (like RaiderZ) then I turn on music, because grinding can be way too monotonous.

Tonivir

Sometimes and it depends upon the type of game you played. But sometimes its more relaxing when you are playing a game at the same time listening to a music. But there are others who just want to hear the sound of the game they are playing with so that they will not be interrupted.

Whether it's the in game theme music or an external music playing in the room background where you are playing your game, these songs helps gamers to sync up with the game which they are playing fully.

Do you enjoy listening to music when playing games?
I don't listen to other music when playing games. My games already has music or sounds. Its already enough for me.

Lau_JayMil

Actually I'm a more single moded or single tasked person, any music which I could hear either externally or on the game itself I would go to the settings and turn the background music off. It drifts me out of focus when I hear some music because I intend to listen now to the music instead of focusing on the game.

krcl

I do but it actually depends on the game I'm playing. If the music helps me finish the game, I normally let it play in the background. If I'm playing a strategic game, I turn on the SFX and and turn off the background music. However, whenever I play combat games like Tekken and Street Fighter, I turn off both the SFX and BG music then I allow my spotify playlist to play in the background. The games that are repetitive warrants me to listen to the songs that I like for it to be bearable to play for a long period of time.

wallet

I am not listening to music while I am playing games because I like to talk to my friends while I am playing games online but I do listen to music while I complete my tasks on my PC.

junrose123

I think that most of the time I am listening to the soundtrack of the games that I am playing because it adds the feeling of excitement and fun whenever I am hearing its music effects. It really boost my interest to play a certain games for a longer period of time since I feel bored whenever I can't hear any soundtrack and I feel a kind of boredom that is why soundtrack is very important for me.

divinegores

If I need to relax for a while, the best thing I do is to listen to music. But listening while playing, my concentration gets destructed. Better playing alone to be focus.

I cannot concentrate much when I play and there is music. So, what I do is, if I want to relax or sleep first I turn on the music and lay in bed. Then if I feel like I am relaxed enough, I turn off the music and then turn on my computer and play whatever game I am currently addicted to. That's just how I trained my brain to play and relax.

Camelie

Nope. Most of the time, games have their own background music or ambient sounds. I find that listening to other songs tend to distract me from the experience and affects the immersive quality of the games. Plus, you could miss audio cues that might have been important to the story.

Last edited:

Ronwald

Personally, it depends on the game that I'm playing. If its something atmospheric like Skyrim where interactions and dialogue are important to the flow of the game, or something where audio is important like an FPs or MOBA, then no. But if its a strategy game like Rome, Civilization, then yes I listen to music.

GioMatos

As much as I love listening to music at all times, I don't really listen to it when I'm playing. It drifts me out of focus, and I want to fully experience the whole thing. Some games have really wonderful soundtracks too so why would I want to listen to something else?
I have to say, though, that if I'm going through a game all over again for like a 3rd time and I already know the dialogs and the music by heart, I might turn it off and listen to something else.

jpk0007

Yes, most of the times i do listen to music while i am playing games. However i prefer to listen to the music at a low volume while i play because i get easily distracted by loud music. I beleive that loud music can disturb your rhythm of playing games. One has to concentrate completely while playing games to be able to master the game.

Nope. Most of the time, games have their own background music or ambient sounds. I find that listening to other songs tend to distract me from the experience and affects the immersive quality of the games. Plus, you could miss audio cues that might have been important to the story.
That is right. That is what I am trying to say too. There is already a background music or ambient sound in games.

Depends on what game it is, honestly. When I play a MOBA or an RTS I don't listen to music. But when I grind in some MMORPG (like RaiderZ) then I turn on music, because grinding can be way too monotonous.
That is right. It also depends on the game that you are playing. If there is already a background music, I think there is no more need to have another music to be listened to.

As much as I love listening to music at all times, I don't really listen to it when I'm playing. It drifts me out of focus, and I want to fully experience the whole thing. Some games have really wonderful soundtracks too so why would I want to listen to something else?
I have to say, though, that if I'm going through a game all over again for like a 3rd time and I already know the dialogs and the music by heart, I might turn it off and listen to something else.
Nice answer. Playing games and listening to music may or may not help. I prefer not to listen to music while playing games so that I will drift out of focus.

mhingnhormz

I love music almost all of the time but there's an exception if I am studying and playing some games like the mobile legend. I prepare to play mobile games with its own Sounds for me to here clearly the commands, warning that was given to me of my team.

Mhaiee

It depends on the game. But it really is relaxing and can push your adrenaline with some beats while your beating the enemy. Most games have amazing BGM and I don't want to miss that by muting the game.

I love playing games in silent mode, except for the audio sound created by the game itself. I find music distracting when playing. The pandemonium sound of war and action during the actual play makes me feel good though.

Mirre

Most games I do. But when I'm playing competitive I turn it off so I can focus on the in game sounds. If you're listening to music while playing game, especially when it's a competitive game, it will counter act as you are trying to listen to two different things at once and it will drift you out of focus.

sem29

Nope because I can't focus on the games I play. However, it really depends on you if you want or not :)

GuestHu

I might not enjoy listening to music while focusing on playing a video game. Sometimes, I need a full concentration to defeat an enemy or accomplish a mission. Sometimes, the other sounds on a game might give a clue if there is an enemy nearby or a warning that prevents you to die in that game. Or you need to listen to the other character's advice which guides you in accomplishing a certain task.

Well... Depending on the type of game... I would say "yes". ;)

For example, a racing game... I love listening to music with the loud sound (because the game gets more exciting). But, when the game requires a greater concentration (like a game of horror / suspense) I prefer the natural sound of the game itself.

Dekaron

I enjoy playing a game better whenever there is a background music. It adds a little mood on the game specially when the game starts to go intense. Helps to bring out some stored adrenaline on the body

QQ4U

It depends on the game to be honest. If it's an action packed game, I prefer listening to the in-game music because it pumps you up for the upcoming scenes. If it's a horror themed game, I don't like listening to the music because it freaks me out which most likely than not, results in me dying in the game. If it's any other type of game, it depends on whether the in-game music is tolerable or not. There are some games whose music is the same track on loop and that gets really annoying after a while.

It also depends on what I want to achieve in the game. If it's just a casual game that I play when I'm bored, I don't care about the music. However, if I want to win in the game and actually finish the entire storyline, I mute or listen to the music depending on the mood in the game.

dzonyfox2

I often listen to music while playing games. The music relaxes me and helps me to focus on the game itself. I practise these especially when I'm playing online multiplayer games. Music is great for stress relief.

Last edited:
For me, it depends on what game I'm playing.

If I'm playing like a car racing game, I like more to listen to the game's music but if it's like playing a puzzle games, I'd like to listen to music since it relaxes me and it focus me on doing a good job during the game :)

chi92

It mostly depends on the game. If I am playing something action-pumped, like Counter-Strike or the League of Legends I prefer the sounds from the game itself because that allows me to fully concentrate on the game and set my mind to it. On the other hand, when I'm playing something with low stress like World of Warcraft where is a lot of farming, grinding, running, flying, I tend to listen to my own music, and that makes the perfect combination for me in order to make the most out of the time playing ?

Mora

Not with all games, especially not with first person shooter kind of games, it needs a lot of focus, But I love it with Driving games tho, I use to Put on night program radio, or my own play list ,and just "drive for hours", Need For Speed, shift, Rally, and the list goes on, but the one where music is a must is Euro Truck simulator, I had some real "zoned out" moments with this game.

Last edited:

egghead

My primary purpose of playing games is to have a good time and music always doubles my pleasure. I like listening to classic rock and I play Pink Floyd, The Doors, and Deep Purple while playing games.

PolySa

I never listen to music when I'm playing games. Listening to music during the game it most definitely will alter the whole experience. Listening to music is breaking the immersion and destroying all of the moods. Actually, The choice of soundtrack and sound effects for a game has more to do with mood. The sound effect of the game is chosen very carefully by the game designer. I prefer to listen to that. :):)

Richart

I love music, and I can literally listen to music throughout the day as long as it doesn't interfere with whatever else I'm doing. I do like music going on in the background when I'm playing games, it's like having the best of both worlds for me doing two things I really love doing at the same time and enjoying them both. Music relaxes me and put me in my element,so I'm at my best when I'm listening to music and because I love to be at my best when I'm playing, I definitely love to have music while playing.

rhems091

Electronic music is very good when it comes to playing games. Like you guys said, the beats can pump you up.

Dafina

Unless the music is part of the game... otherwise I never listen to any other music while playing games. Unless of course an enthusiastic sibling or roommate is playing loud music then I go along with it

SPOON

It really depends on the mood and the game, because some games require you to focus on the in game sounds and it will be difficult for you to play and interact with other players if you are listening to a different sounds. But some gsmes could go with music, like playing games that you only need chat for interacting. Music can relax your mind, so if you are relaxed and focus you can be do better strategies in the game you are already playing.

CasualMiser

I stay with in game sounds only, be it music or whatever else. I’ve been trained by open world games to respond to audio cues and I don’t want to miss anything! If it’s a no-stakes situation where that stuff doesn’t matter I can put on something else, but it’s so rare I wouldn’t call it a thing I do as a matter of course.

leadtech

having a background while playing is helping me to concentrate on the game. Every time i'm playing i always had a BGM played on.

As much as I love listening to music, I don't while I'm in the middle of a multi player match or trying to complete a quest/ or walk through. Personally, I find it quite distracting when I'm trying to focus on winning or completing a mission.

To be honest, playing music really depends on the game and a number of different factors to whether it would benefit my gaming experience in any way.

Ash

It depends on what the game is really. The majority of the time, I won't be listening to any music whilst playing games because it will just distract me and put me at a disadvantage because I can't hear the game sounds properly. But I do listen to music whilst playing racing games like the Crew 2

Nova

For me DI.FM seems to be all I need for the gaming and the work needs. It has some really good turnes. And those tunes make me want to listen to some of the nostalgic tunes. Also there are some nice tunes from around the world that you can listen to. So it's fun listening to online radio.

Jelineex

I like listening to music but not during a game. I cannot concentrate on playing games. I easily get distracted especially when I heard my favorite songs. It does not help me at all. ( Ha.Ha. Ha ) But I like to listen on the different soundtrack of video games. Melodies of life from Final Fantasy IX and Promise from Silent Hill are my favorites to make me calm. It is my source of happiness and contentment.

Nova

I often listen to online music say youtube playlists which are created after listening to those songs over a period of time. I also have the tracklist or say the DJ sets that can be good for the gaming. So downloading and keeping them as MP3 running in the background definitely helps out.

Anime_Nerd

Nah, not typically. It distracts me I think. Unless I'm just playing for the hell of it, then I'll probably throw something on my headphones. I'd have to purposefully choose to do that though.

TopSilver

I would normally listen to music in my game on the xbox 360. Recently I haven't done this as much. I still would like to enable music pretty soon in the background of my game. Just need to figure out how I could go about it. I haven't tested out how to add music to the Xbox One though I know it's possible

Gopnik

I listen to music while playing but it strongly depends on the video game itself. For an example, sometimes I listen to music in GTA V but I would never do that in CS:GO. I need to stay focused and hear where the enemies are to kill them. With the loud music blasting in I wouldn't be able to do that and lose the game. It's also very common for me to put some music on when playing a grinding game.