Do you host your own game servers?

Bunker Hosting

Newcomer
Trophies
I am wondering how many people actually host their own game servers? If you do, what do you feel are the benefits you are gaining? If you don't, have you ever thought of doing so? What do you feel is stopping you from doing so?

would think cost/legal issues.
Legal issues? Many online games (PC games mostly) allow you to host your own game server, as well as steps to do so.
Depending on how big of a game you are hosting, it is entirely possible to do this with your own PC.

No I lack the technical skill and money to try to host my own. I typically get a professional service to do it.

I never learned how to host my own game. And also worst point is that it may be costly for my pocket. And during the lockdown and the post jobloss trips spending on the game server setup may not be a good idea either.

I would be tempted to ask a professional to do it for me as I lack knowledge in this field. The worst argument against this, is that it might be expensive for my wallet. I have to factor in Labour Costs aswell as Hosting expenses. Having to spend money on a game server during COVID-19 isn't a sensible idea when jobs are so unsecure.

Just a general FYI: You can host your own game servers with very little resources :) Even if you had an old-ish laptop or desktop kicking around!

Just a general FYI: You can host your own game servers with very little resources :) Even if you had an old-ish laptop or desktop kicking around!
I maybe old hat here but explain what a game server is? I've never known what one is?

One day maybe I will learn how. It would be cool to own every aspect of the server.

It depends on what games we talking about here. Nowadays it's easy to go online rent a hosting game server then once in the admin panel it's all there.

GAme hosting makes it easy to pick your setup, pay, and play. even with mods, you upload your mods and then done, JUst use the simple edited option.

Hosting your own on your own hardware can be little harder and far more time you need on your hands

I maybe old hat here but explain what a game server is? I've never known what one is?

A game server is basically the instance of the game you connect too.

Example: Hosting your own MineCraft server, you could connect to your own game instance (Hosted on your own system) set up the game the way you want (Mods, Texture packs, etc) and then let the public connect in, or just allow your friends to play.

Another example would be something like your own CS:GO server; Then you wouldn't be relying on their servers, you would be relying on yourself. Better network latency would be one of the benefits here.

Yes, I've been running my own minecraft servers for a few years now. I have to admit that it is not the easiest, because there are many people who want bad things, so you have to be prepared for everything if you go into this. I mean a good network, well-configured servers, a powerful host and an excellent team.

The number of people who host their own game servers varies widely depending on the game and the gaming community. Many gamers do host their own game servers for various reasons, while others prefer to play on servers hosted by game developers or third-party hosting services.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back