Do you hate 'smurfs' in video games?

Gopnik

Trophies
For those of you who don't know what the "smurfs" in video games are - they are basically very good and experienced players who make a new account to play versus low skilled players just for fun. Do you hate that type of players who ruin the gameplay for the beginners?

Personally, I don't like them neither hate them. Most of them don't play for real at the low rank levels.

This is one of the reasons why some people don't want a ranked mode for Fortnite Battle Royale. It's not a nice thing to do but there's not much you can do to stop it really. I guess it must be entertaining to do it once in a while :D

Jesus, I was thinking this was going to be a hatred thread against my fluffy little blue friends when I clicked in haha. Not a term I've actually heard before so that's interesting enough for me really but in practice, I've seen this happen a few times and I can't lie, I've done it before. I'm not a 'pro' player at anything by any means but if you join a team of 'noobs' when you have a bit more practice it's fun just to be able to pop in and wipe out people for a bit. That's probably more of the sadistic side of me however but I do get some kind of joy out of it and that feeling when I finish a match with a massive score (or whatever) it feels good despite the obvious ease of it lol.

Last edited:
It depends on how the individual treats the account. People using that technique to massacre and humiliate are pretty annoying. They might severy sour the experience of someone genuinely new to the game and discourage them altogether. No one enjoys being hit over and over before even being able to understand the controllers enough to develop some finger memory and reflexes.

That said, not everyone that does that will be a jerk. Some people just feel like they didn't enjoy their first rounds and kind of want to have a proper beginning, some others just are looking for a less demanding environment.

I pretty much had to delete my file and start over in a game, so I did have the advantage of having more of a clue on what I was doing that my peers but for the most part it felt rewarding because they were picking up what I was dropping and I felt like a big brother, hehe.

On the other hand, I had some people thinking I was an easy target and chasing me a lot when I was within the first 10 levels. I liked to distract them with the chase and then try to dispatch them. They rarely saw it coming. they really low their guard when they think you are a newbie. Haha.
It was kind of bittersweet, to be honest, to think this is what many people genuinely new are experiencing in these games once it's been a while since the game has been out.

I don't think I've heard of that term before but I definitely have experienced it in several games I have played in the past. It does truly discourage some players especially if you are new to the game and you can't progress due to experienced players beating you in a match. On the other hand, I feel like this could benefit new players and they could learn a thing or two from the experienced player. If it does pose as an issue, maybe some games need a system in place to avoid this from happening all round.

I don't think I've heard of that term before but I definitely have experienced it in several games I have played in the past. It does truly discourage some players especially if you are new to the game and you can't progress due to experienced players beating you in a match. On the other hand, I feel like this could benefit new players and they could learn a thing or two from the experienced player. If it does pose as an issue, maybe some games need a system in place to avoid this from happening all round.
Well I mean by the time I got myself into PUBG it would be safe to assume that the majority of people online and playing that game were pretty darn good at it and that really was the truth for my first few matches. I'd load in, bumble about and get wiped out from nowhere. For me, it did teach me rapidly to not be an idiot and take my time. Use my camera to look for people and all kinds of things. I'm by no means an 'ace' player now but I've won myself a few chicken dinners so I'm taking that.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back