Discussion Do you care about limited edition consoles?

LunarScorpio

Newcomer
Trophies
It seems like with each major game that is released, it gets turned into a special edition console. Are you someone who buys a special edition console that goes along with your favorite games? What about if you already have the console, do you buy another one depending on the special edition?

I buy a console once and then don't upgrade or buy a new one unless it breaks or a new generation comes out. I don't see the point of special editions if I've already got the console tbh

There really are not many thoughts on the matter or anything to understand. But Why pay extra just for extra games and whatnot? they might have better hardware but not that big amount

I loved Spider-Man and would have loved to buy the Spider-Man PS4 console had I not had a PS4. I think the PS5 will have bundles where you can also buy the plates to customise. It's a money spinner so I'm surprised consoles haven't really taken into account when designing the console.

I remember the R2-D2 themed Xbox 360 being particularly neat. It had authentic sound effects and everything. If it's well done (looks nice design-wise) and has nice little extra features like sound effects, then why not? it's a nice novelty and can be a fine addition to a collection if you consider yourself a fan of a particular franchise. Sound effects aren't even necessary if the aesthetic design is high quality enough.

No, pointless IMO. I buy a console to play games on, not to exhibit it.

I only purchase them when I get in on a console late. For example, the Wii U Zelda edition was the only special edition console I ever bought. I don't know if it was a launch thing or what, but well over a year after the console came out I decided to buy it, and it was either that or the plain. So I went with the cool Zelda one.

Otherwise no, I merely pick up what's available at or near launch. I also think most of them look a bit gaudy. The Zelda Wii U was muted.

Not really, but if it lines up with the time I want to buy one and its on something I like, then yeah, I'll shove money out for it.

I won't buy an extra console to get them, or spend more money on them unless I just have cash to blow and it isn't more then like $50 more. I got the God of War PS4 Pro as it was a great package deal and it looked cool, didn't own my own PS4 at all up till then.

I’d only consider a special edition if it was bundled with a game I wanted badly, I didn’t already have that console, and it wasn’t any more expensive than buying the vanilla version with the game in question. Other than that I don’t really care what a games machine looks like - only what it is capable of.

Like the other posters in this thread, I'm leaning towards the opinion that limited edition consoles aren't worth it. I'm not the type of person who chooses based on appearance, I pick a console in reference to its functionality.

Unless I get a game with the console, I'm not buying a limited edition console on purpose.

If you got a next gen console and it was simple to interchange the cover, would you buy a few different covers for it? Or would it make no difference to you how that console looks or would a nice price point get to buy a few covers next gen?

If you got a next gen console and it was simple to interchange the cover, would you buy a few different covers for it? Or would it make no difference to you how that console looks or would a nice price point get to buy a few covers next gen?

I'd probably buy a new cover once in a while, sure. Didn't the Xbox 360 have face panels? I never owned one.

I'd probably buy a new cover once in a while, sure. Didn't the Xbox 360 have face panels? I never owned one.
I never owned an Xbox so I can't say. I played Halo for a week when a friend lent me the og console and game. I need to sort this out for the future, either bad ass pc or pick up a cheap Xbone in the coming trade in season.

I kinda hate how colour schemes are sold as a premium. I’m still using my launch PS4 and aside from being noisy it’s fine, but if they had a white version at launch I’d have bought that in a heart beat. Am I gonna pay another £300 or so a couple of years later because they now have a white version? Absolutely not.

It depends on what it is. I normally get just the regular consoles because they've never come out with a special console that I've really wanted or decided I "had to have". Now, my Nintendo Switch came with Super Mario Odyssey (digital download copy, not a hard copy). It was a bundle, the Switch with the game.

I never buy a second console that I already own. But I'm not gonna lie, I'd buy the japanese only SMT IV 3ds console for a reasonable price. I just love the game a lot.

Console limited edition unless it has some gold edition or so or something hard to get, then it makes sense. but only for consoles. Limited edition games however often don't have enough to offer to the users to buy it. I mean have you ever checked out the square enix limited edition things? most of it is already available on the torrent or some other illegal place. And there is literally nothing new in what they offer in game.

I think you could change one of the panels on the PS4 to change the colour. Don't see these promoted anymore so must have been a roaring success!

Problem is, I think, a lot of limited edition consoles come out not only too late in the console cycles (so potential customers already have a console) but also come out for more "mainstream" games. There's obviously someone in marketing that thinks "more popular game"="more opportunities to sell branded merch" but I really think that it's going to be hardcore fans, of more niche properties, that are more likely to shell out the hard cash foor exclusive swag.

I think you could change one of the panels on the PS4 to change the colour. Don't see these promoted anymore so must have been a roaring success!

Yeah, these came out in (I believe) 4 basic colours, and about half a dozen game branded variants (including the widely beloved No Man's Sky and The Order 1886), so it really feels like a feature that was designed-to-fail. Speaking personally, if they'd produced versions for, say, Crash Bandicoot, DMC V, or The Last Guardian, I would have snapped these up in an instant, and if they had bothered to produce plates for, say Persona 5, or Kingdom Hearts III, I can't see them being anything less than a roaring success.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back