Do Video Games Reduce College Stress?

video-games-reduce-stress.jpeg

Video games often have a bad reputation among parents and teachers. However, most studies show that playing video games helps young people develop crucial study skills, boost their mood, and even reduce stress. Indeed, gaming can be a powerful tool to improve students’ mental health. It helps them relax, provides a fun pastime activity, and serves as a stress release. Let’s have a better look at all those benefits.

Joyful activity​

Let’s start with the obvious one. Gaming is fun. That’s why so many people do it. It is a nice hobby to have. Many view gaming as a part of their relaxing routine, major interests, or even a big part of their lifestyle. Overall, video games help people feel better.

First, games can lead to a reading experience. One feels better after achieving a new level, winning a boss fight, or completing a challenge. The rewarding experience is instant. It serves as gratification and motivates players to keep on going. Also, such an experience releases dopamine in your blood. Not only do they make you feel better, but they also reduce cortisol - the stress hormone.

Students who worry too much feel anxious and stressed and have too many cortisol hormones in their blood. To fight that, people should do things they enjoy, like exercising, socializing, or playing video games.

Stress release​

Stress often comes as the result of bottled-up negative emotions, such as pressure and fear. Such emotional states are no fun, so young people aren’t in a rush to deal with them as they occur. However, with time, such unprocessed emotions affect one’s mental health, focus, and confidence. They turn into chronic stress if nothing is done. Fortunately, students can use video games to experience and process those emotions in a safe and controlled environment.

Players experience a wide range of emotions during the game. They can feel ecstatic and happy. Yet, they often feel tense, anxious, angry, and even frightened, depending on what kind of games and genres they prefer. However, there are no ‘bad’ feelings if they are expressed in a healthy way. Games help students experience those negative emotions, thus releasing them from any bottled-up feelings.

Escapism​

Video games require total concentration. You can be playing and thinking/doing other things simultaneously. It’s fair to say this experience is similar to mediation. One focuses all their attention on one thing only (like breathing or killing trolls in dungeons) and forgets about the external world around them. In limited doses, escapism can be highly beneficial and healthy for young minds. It allows the brain to rest, change the focus, and let go of things that torture it (stress factors) in real life.

Games leave no room for your stress. They create a safe, magical domain where you turn to someone else for a short time. In other words, it provides a temporary refuge for those who need to escape reality. Of course, students need to deal with homework, study, and complete their chores. However, these shouldn’t be done at the stake of their mental health. So, they may benefit from ordering papers at https://speedypaper.com time by time and escaping in the virtual fantasy world instead.

i played a lot of animal crossing in university, and that really helped my out honestly. Its nice to just detress with a game like thatt!

reduce stress ,but we must control time ,if we don't have a planning we ll fall in studies

It definately does, gaming brought me through the presures and stress of assignements and professors.

7 day ban
Video games can be a form of stress relief for some college students. Playing video games can provide an escape from the pressures of college life, allowing students to temporarily forget about their responsibilities and unwind.

However, it's important to note that video games should not be used as the only method of stress relief, as they can also become a source of stress if played excessively or used as a way to avoid responsibilities. It's important for students to have a variety of stress-relief strategies, such as exercise, socializing, and time management techniques.

It definately does, gaming brought me through the presures and stress of assignements and professors.
I completely agree that playing video games can reduce stress. Since I was young, playing video games has helped me unwind and reduce my stress.

Something I noticed when I was in school and college and it has been the same for my kids as well, is how much gaming can help if you have had a rough or stressful day in school or college.

I always turned to gaming myself when I came home from college and I found it help me to relax, unwind and forget about everything I had been through that day and that helped a ton on my mental health.

I find that is also the case with my kids and school and college, they seem less stressed out being able to hang out with their friends on call and play video games with them.

I know when I was in college having Call of Duty was a nice get away. I made a good group of friends and it kept me preoccupied.

Video games can provide a temporary escape, it help individuals reduce stress. Engaging in video games can offer a break from academic pressures and allow players to immerse themselves in different virtual worlds or challenges.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back